Pains...

Started by Ewalk91, March 2, 2009 · 7 Replies · 1,946 Views

Ewalk91

So it's my second year on the sport. I'm a pommel horse specialist trying to nail a circle circle travel (can't get the travel part)

1)I've had forearm splints at the end of my first season and want to know if they are preventable.

2)Practice is 3 hours long...and by that last hour my hands can't take holding my up anymore. (my palms feel like they are on fire but feel fine the next day) anything i can do for that?

and lastly.....Wrists, enough said. i'm sure i need wrist supports. I've seen a guy wearing them and said he got them online. So that might be smart to invest into.

Coach Sommer

Pommel horse should be trained no more than 45 minutes daily. Your three hour workouts are greatly exceeding this window of training; this is what is primarily responsible for your forearm splints and wrist issues. Wrist supports likewise are not a good idea. While they will substantially increase your comfort level initially, in the long run they will contribute to the further break down of the integrity of your wrists. A correctly structured prehabilitation routine including wrist pushups etc. is what is needed here.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ewalk91

Well thanks! I'll look more into wrist push ups than wrist supports.

And well we stretch for about a half hour. do strength for another half hour. So that leaves me with an hour and a half at pommel horse. If i complain about a pain coach just tells me to man up. but he's been doing the sport for 25 years!

Coach Sommer
If i complain about a pain coach just tells me to man up.

There are of course different training philosophies for use in varying situations; and I will admit that there are certainly instances where pushing through discomfort is a practical necessity and you must always respect the directions of your coach. As a general rule, however, that particular philosophy is not one that I agree with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gregor

I noticed in this recent years beginners have quite lover pain treshold then 10 or 15 years back (due to "new age parents" :arrow: treshold is thought to some point).

matthew.percussion

Haha. I believe it Gregor.

But, some people who have a high pain tolerance can be really stubborn(ie. myself).

In some cases it is silly to continue training. Recently sprained my thumb on one of my first attempts at a bail(pbars, I wrapped my thumb around the bar :oops: ). But I kept on training, the next day my whole had was swollen and bruised badly.

Had a similar case with a broken toe(caused by screwing around on the tramp).

Gregor
matthew.percussion said:
Haha. I believe it Gregor.

But, some people who have a high pain tolerance can be really stubborn(ie. myself).

In some cases it is silly to continue training. Recently sprained my thumb on one of my first attempts at a bail(pbars, I wrapped my thumb around the bar :oops: ). But I kept on training, the next day my whole had was swollen and bruised badly.

Had a similar case with a broken toe(caused by screwing around on the tramp).

I made almost whole training with broken metacarpal (bones in palm) until coach send me madly to Doctor :D

coachnate
Gregor said:
I noticed in this recent years beginners have quite lover pain treshold then 10 or 15 years back (due to "new age parents" :arrow: treshold is thought to some point).

I'd agree with that as well - right along with workout conditions :roll: I remember working out in steaming hot gyms where you were lucky to have a small-medium fan (what was the best was having garage doors opened). Now, it's a surprise to parents/kids if the gym doesn't have air conditioning.

On a related story - a gym that I was coaching at had the A/C so low that we had the girls put on sweats while they did their cardio. Some parents (not even of our kids) went into the office and asked if we were trying to make the girls loose weight! :shock: We had quite a laugh, but at the same time just couldn't beleive it.

WAIT - forgot to mention seeing guys 'back in the day' do tkachevs (sorry about spelling), missing the bar, and landing on a 4" - no pit, no stack of 8" mats... and certainly no b**ching!!! Oh the glory days :mrgreen: