This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Reach Underneath Static HBP/PE9>iM

Started by Ravn, November 12, 2013 · 6 Replies · 211 Views

Ravn

Can anyone share a few pointers for this stretch? There's so much going on (spinal rotation, scapula protraction, diagonal loading) that I don't really know what to 'feel'.

At the moment, only the outmost corner of the scapula near the shoulder touches the ground during the stretch. Is that sufficient, or should the entire scapula lie flat on the ground?

It appears that the athlete in the video also just touches the corner of the scapula to the ground, but I'm just making sure....

Ravn

Bump

Keilani Gutierrez

hmmm...do you feel it in the Lats and rhomboids? I'm not the most mobile guy(cause seriously look at my signature :P) and that's where I feel it the most, if i get into the position(i can't get to the exact position like the athlete due to my stiffness)

MT Nordic

Wish I could help.  I have been through these, but I didn't get much out of them.  (making me wonder if I was doing them right).  The prone side chest stretches coming up next for you (11 and 12) I find quite good and challenging to do.   Glad you asked, and hoping others have some input for you.

Jon Douglas

Just keep reaching diagonal-back and under. There's only so much of your shoulders you can get on the ground at the same time as kneeling; I can go a bit further than in the video but looking at myself on vid it's not as far as it feels. I prefer the reps to the hold, I feel like it's quick to adjust to a single hold even when you plain can't go any further due to the ground being there.

Joshua Slocum

When I do the exercise, I feel a nice stretch all along the area between my scapula and my spine. 

Ravn
Jon Douglas said:

Just keep reaching diagonal-back and under. There's only so much of your shoulders you can get on the ground at the same time as kneeling; I can go a bit further than in the video but looking at myself on vid it's not as far as it feels. I prefer the reps to the hold, I feel like it's quick to adjust to a single hold even when you plain can't go any further due to the ground being there.

I need to video myself, but I'm not quite there yet relative to what the athlete is demonstrating. That's ok, gives me time to work up to 5x10 in korean dips (love that exercise!)

 

 

Joshua Slocum said:

When I do the exercise, I feel a nice stretch all along the area between my scapula and my spine. 

I feel it mostly in the spine, trying to rotate the shoulders 90 degrees to vertical, but I also strongly protract the scapula that's on the ground, I've yet to feel a stretch in that area though. Still, I've only done it twice so far, it should get better quite quickly.