Where to start in making ring routine?!

Started by Shia, November 11, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,986 Views

Shia

Im thinking about buying some GST rings and basing my training solely around these to gain bodyweight strength and conditioning

 

Hoowever I have no where to start in terms of developing a routine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Joshua Slocum

Jumping straight into rings-only training is not the best idea. It puts a lot of stress on the connective tissues, and it's easy to suffer a training injury if you aren't well prepared. If you lack significant GST experience I'd recommend beginning with the Foundation series. The work in Foundation is predominately not on the rings, but toughing through it will ensure that once you do hop up on the rings you'll have rock-solid joints and tendons to work with. 

Cody

Rings are the best investment for GST, however you're not strong enough to base your entire training around rings.

If you don't plan on following foundation, your goals should be pretty much more or less the same. Most people don't have access to a long rope, so OAC work is a good substitute, also, Back Lever should probably be added in there.

There's tons of good information here on creating a good routine to follow, so try to search around some, but I'll try my best to answer any questions you might have.

Bipocni

By all means get the rings (you should have some already!)

 

Figuring out a rings routine is as simple as seeing what you can do on them, and stringing them all together.  I've seen pretty basic sequences strung together out of dips, pullups, felge, rto support hold....  Of course I'd recommend working on high numbers of pushups and rows before you even train for the support hold, because rings can be dangerous to start off with.

 

I think at least to begin with you need to train the individual elements before you work on rings routines.  I remember at one point someone here posted how Coach made them try muscle-ups to back levers, just to remind them how unprepared they were for serious rings training.  If you look on the youtube channel, you'll see some beginners rings routines coach put together.

Eric Baum
Shia said:

Im thinking about buying some GST rings and basing my training solely around these to gain bodyweight strength and conditioning

 

Hoowever I have no where to start in terms of developing a routine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is my opinion about this:

 

When I first started doing a GST focused training, before knowing about the GB method I had this idea of buying rings and doing all my training on then. And I did so.

 

3 weeks after starting the train I had a Sternoclavicular Joint Dislocation just from doing more strength than it was ready to handle.

 

Because of it I had to do some good amount of physioteraphy for 3 months to completely stop de pain and 2 more months to make it stop moving out of place for nothing.

 

Later I found GB method and I'm free of injuries so far.

Kopavski

i agree with bipocni, maybe start easy with some of the basics, like pushups and rows and literary anything, that can be replaced with rings, presuming that you are doing these elements with a good form without rings!

Bipocni
Kopavski said:

i agree with bipocni, maybe start easy with some of the basics, like pushups and rows and literary anything, that can be replaced with rings, presuming that you are doing these elements with a good form without rings!

Don't get me wrong, it's super easy to hurt yourself with rings training.  Start with the basics and work with high rep sets.