This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do if I'm sick

Started by Alan Tseng, November 11, 2013 · 11 Replies · 283 Views

Alan Tseng

Last week was my deload week, but on Saturday I started to feel very bad.  I think I have throat infection and fever, but I can't go to health services until tomorrow (Monday) to confirm exactly what is going on, but what should I do for tomorrow?

 

Zero workout at all?  Do what I originally planned to do but do it at half volume instead?

Daniel Burnham

My rule is to go by how I feel. If I don't feel I could train I take off. Also use the head rule. If all the symptoms are above the neck you are probably ok to do some light training. If you have a fever or have chest congestion then don't workout.

Stay home have some bone broth and get better for the next day.

Also when in doubt probably better to sit that day out.

Alan Tseng

Below the neck and I am experiencing quite moderate chills.  So I am following the 4 day split (Mon/Thurs and Tues/Fri).  Let's say I take Mon, Tues off.  What do I do on Thurs and Fri?

Bipocni
Hmms said:

What do I do on Thurs and Fri?

See how much better you feel.....

john_c

I was ill recently and had to take a week out. I just repeated the last week before I got ill and carried on from there.  So why not repeat the previous Thursday and Friday workout if you feel ok, if not just rest.

ausswe

I'm in the same boat as you my plan is to just take Monday Tuesday off and do Thursday Friday (assuming I'm better). As a deload week. Last time I trained through the sickness and it didn't go well :(. As soon as I feel up to it I plan on going for some long walks as week just to get the blood flowing then do so,e easy stretching.

Bipocni

Last time I trained through the sickness I felt fantastic, it went away almost instantly.  But I only had the sniffles.  If you have anything more serious than a cold, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Alessandro Mainente

I hate the cold...really, i feel myself very tired. the best thing to do it's not do a training session with higher intensity then the previous, just cut the intensity in half. the reason is simple that when you aer tired due to inflammation you immunitary system is actually weak. more fitness activity increases the level of inflammation exposing yourself to bacterial infection. So be careful to train when you are tired and try to understand the reason of that.

Murray Truelove

I don't train when I'm sick... at all... I'm a bit of a wimp when I'm ill though. Depending on how sick was week either; a) Carry on as if I had completed the weeks training (move onto week 7 even though I was sick through week 6). b) repeat that week and offset my whole training calender - I do this when I go away on holiday and can't train.

spinelli

Do what you need to do to get better then get back to training. I'm currently a bit ill and it sucks, I'm just making sure I get plenty of rest, food and water. Once I'm better I'll just start my current microcycle again. One week off is not the end of the world and you will barely lose progress... unless of course you have an illness that is very taxing on the body like an extreme fever or ebola

Alan Tseng

so what I have is strep throat

Bipocni
Hmms said:

so what I have is strep throat

Yeah, don't work out...