This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

More Depth on Cossack Squats

Started by Michael S., November 9, 2013 · 8 Replies · 342 Views

Michael S.

Hi Community,

 

title says it all. I can get down to full depth on the right side but on the left side im stuck almost half way. Is this lack of strength and will come in time practising the movement or do i need to do some stretches to open up the ROM? Any pointers greatly appreciated :-)

 

Cheers,

Michael

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, it'll come with time, i mean you COULD do hamstring stretches but it'd kind of be redundant since this actively stretches the hamstrings and adductors, ya know?

trw

Without any more information we can't really help you at all. Compare your flexibility at different places in each leg. For instance, I was having a hard time getting deep enough on my left leg particularly in the Hawaiian Squats because my left ankle is stiffer than my right. I've been stretching it a bunch and I'm just now getting the depth that I need. If you're still not sure then post a video.

PhilTaylor

You can also at some ankle stretches or just try to hold the bottom position a few times a day.

 

The above helped me, but I also did alot of hamstrings stretches too.

Bipocni

I found stretching my adductors more beneficial than stretching my hamstrings.  A pancake will stretch both.

Richard Hamilton
Bipocni said:

I found stretching my adductors more beneficial than stretching my hamstrings.  A pancake will stretch both.

This is a big one for me as well.  

 

Hey Michael, I'm not training these yet but I do some from time to time and find that holding a couple of kettlebells which are sat on the floor beneficial and allow you to pull yourself down into the squat and open the hips a bit more. Maybe a little more volume on your left could help, as would stretching that side twice when you do your stretching and flexibility sessions. The stretches in the 'Legs Apart' part of Kit's book will probably help. His YT Channel is worth a look as he uploaded a video on the Cossack squat a couple of months ago, you may have already seen it... You could also put some Goblet squats in your warm up to help open the hips before doing PE2?

 

Oh, and you started a thread when you injured your hamstring a while back doing MN/PE1>iM didn't you? How are you getting on with that? And which side was it? Sorry Fred, I'm feeling too lazy to use the search function to find that thread tonight  :P

Michael S.

Thanks guys for the replies!

 

It was my right adductor where i had a light strain, i'm pain free since a while  and slowly gaining back my ROM but im still more limited on the right side. So thats why im limited when squatting down to the left side, actually its bloody obvious but really didnt think of it :facepalm:  I also tried a Side-to-side squat and when going from right to left, i could reach the bottom position on the left leg but could not fully straighten my right leg, so its not ankle flexibility what is limiting.

 

Thanks again for the quick help, i know what i have to work on. Im going to spend awhile on this PE anyway, the IM is pretty hard to.

Bipocni
Michael S. said:

Thanks again for the quick help, i know what i have to work on. Im going to spend awhile on this PE anyway, the IM is pretty hard to.

I started at week 1 and I'm progressing the iM and the PE synchronously.  I could actually hit the mastery for the PE straight away, but the iM kills me.

fitwell
Bipocni said:

I started at week 1 and I'm progressing the iM and the PE synchronously.  I could actually hit the mastery for the PE straight away, but the iM kills me.

This is me as well. Twisting Squats own my soul. I feel like I could master out of most of the ensuing elements if I wanted to, but clearly this is an area of weakness I'll be spending some time on.