This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Where to start SLS (if I can't do deck squats)?

Started by Just_Another_Epic_Guy, November 8, 2013 · 7 Replies · 426 Views

Just_Another_Epic_Guy

Hello guys,

 

just wanted to ask you a question (I think that it is the best that coach Sommer himself answers).

 

So, I've been doing F1 for about 2 weeks, but I can't do a deck squat. I don't know if that is because my legs are to weak, too inflexible or my mind creates a barrier (cause I was overfat before).

 

So, what to do if I can't do leg squats?

 

Also, can I follow another program along the F1 (like 28-days-handstand-challenge), or should I just add (even if I would be adding) H1?

 

I want to be able to do the Single Leg Squat, L-sit and the Handstand. I think that's enough for a 16 yo.

 

Please, advise me.

 

Thanks!

Guest

Work on ankle flexibility, and try to use a lot of momentum to get back up, then decrease it from there.

 

Just do H1, no 28 day HS challenge.

thanners

What issues are you having with the deck squat?  At least, are you have difficulty with lowering down in the first place, or getting up again?

 

Is there any pain, or do you feel uncomfortable with the movement for any reason?

 

Just so we can have any idea of what type of problem you have, and have a better idea what sort of suggestions to offer.

 

edit: A quick search yielded these recent-ish threads asking about deck squats: here  and here, though mostly concerned with being unable to stand up again from the deck squat.

Bipocni

If you have to, you can start with squats, or air squats as they call them in the crossfit community. :icon_rolleyes:

 

Just make sure you're keeping your heels flat on the ground, feet pointed forward an you're keeping your knees to the outside of your feet.  If even those are inaccessible to you you could start with baithaks, depending on whether your problem is with strength or mobility.

thecolin
Just_Another_Epic_Guy said:

So, what to do if I can't do leg squats?

 

As was mentioned, more details on what exactly the problem is would be helpful. 

 

Try standing with your knees together, your feet pointing forward and see how far you can squat down without falling backwards, if you can't get all the way down you need to do some work on your ankle flexibility. Ankle mobility is fundamentally important for SLS progression. Check this out: http://kitlaughlin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/174-super%E2%80%93duper-ankle%E2%80%93soleus-stretch-routine-essential-for-the-squat/

 

I want to be able to do the Single Leg Squat, L-sit and the Handstand. I think that's enough for a 16 yo.

 

Keep training consistently and what seems like good enough now will seem easy and you'll be hungry for more. Short term goals are great, but don't limit yourself. With consistent practice the 'impossible' becomes routine.

Murray Truelove

It's taken me months to get deck squats (even now I still need to hold a weight). For me it was really bad ankle mobility - You will get there in time, just keep working at them.

 

The best thing about the Foundation series for me is not the strength gains (though that was of course the reason why I started) but the mobility. I'm only 26 and I've lost so much mobility, getting even some of it back has been life changing. little aches that I stopped paying attention to are gone, my posture has improved, I sleep better and all around feel better.

 

Deck squats are worth the time it takes to get them.

fitwell
Bipocni said:

If you have to, you can start with squats, or air squats as they call them in the crossfit community. :icon_rolleyes:

 

Just make sure you're keeping your heels flat on the ground, feet pointed forward an you're keeping your knees to the outside of your feet.  If even those are inaccessible to you you could start with baithaks, depending on whether your problem is with strength or mobility.

I second this. Squat and ankle ROM until you can deck squat.