Does running restrict hamstring mobility?

Started by Ravn, November 8, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,709 Views

Ravn

Hey

 

I've found that in the periods where I have been running, DOMS in my hamstrings has decreased my progress in F1 mobility work, whereas in the periods where I haven't been running I've made some pretty good mobility gains. It should be noted that I do flat foot running in Fivefinger shoes.

 

Is it all in my head, or have others experienced the same? F1-4 is my absolute number one priority. My only goal with running is to maintain my ability to run, so that I don't wake up one day and it's gone. For that reason I'm quite happy just running occasionally during the spring/summer. I would however like to do a minimal amount of cardio that doesn't interfere with my GST.

 

It's getting colder here in Denmark, and because I do quite a bit of F2 training on apparatus outside, I sometimes find that I haven't been sweating the least bit during a workout, which is probably a pretty good indicator that my F-workouts are getting more strength oriented again, rather than conditioning oriented, as in early F1 stuff.

 

Suggestions?

 

 

Jake Lawrance

I run actively too, but my mobility/flexibility has just been getting better. It is probably just the cold, just have a longer warm up  :)

ausswe

My flexibility in my hamstrings actually got better when I switched to vibram running...... I always stretched them out at the end of the run though regardless of my footwear. Also I only ever got doms in my hamstrings if I ran too much or stretched too hard but after running for some months I stopped getting doms unless I pushed myself. If you are running just to maintain what you can do then I don't see why you would be getting doms unless you didn't warm up properly or something.

Ravn

Ok, perhaps there aren't any excuses then... :(

MT Nordic

Running itself shouldn't be restrictive, but if you're getting DOMS that will definitely restrict your mobility. I would go so far as to say you probably shouldn't stretch when you're having DOMS as the muscle is damaged and repairing itself. You are much more prone to "pulling" a muscle if you do this. Active mobility work like deep squatting etc are just fine, however. The lunge matrix is good for this. If you're getting DOMS I would do 1 of 2 things. Either decrease intensity until your body is used to the running and you can add back intensity, or decrease the length of time running. I would also say if you're not used to barefoot running that needs to really be eased into or you may get overuse injuries despite being used to running frequently previously as it does really change your biomechanics and work different muscles. This has been a boon to PT's.

Ravn
MT Nordic said:

Running itself shouldn't be restrictive, but if you're getting DOMS that will definitely restrict your mobility. I would go so far as to say you probably shouldn't stretch when you're having DOMS as the muscle is damaged and repairing itself. You are much more prone to "pulling" a muscle if you do this. Active mobility work like deep squatting etc are just fine, however. The lunge matrix is good for this. If you're getting DOMS I would do 1 of 2 things. Either decrease intensity until your body is used to the running and you can add back intensity, or decrease the length of time running. I would also say if you're not used to barefoot running that needs to really be eased into or you may get overuse injuries despite being used to running frequently previously as it does really change your biomechanics and work different muscles. This has been a boon to PT's.

True about the adaptive period - I spent more than a year transitioning, and have fully adapted to barefoot technique, which is infinitely better for my knees than heel striking. My local running terrain is quite hilly, so i guess the doms, which is pretty light, comes from the uphill sprints. The main reason that I'm not keen on running during the fall, is that I run in grassland and trails, which instantly soaks my fivefingers, which is quite unpleasant at these low temperatures. As soon as the temperature goes below zero, the frost makes the terrain dry, and then i can easily keep my feet warm.

Jake Lawrance

I suspect some people will check out this thread and want to know how to run properly, so I'm just going to plop this here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

 

Although a great explanation, he could work on keeping the shoulders/chest more solid, my coach would pounce on him in seconds.

 

:D