This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Glad to be back!

Started by Iguanus, November 8, 2013 · 8 Replies · 279 Views

Iguanus

A few months hiatus after surgery nearly drove me mad! But returning is probably the key to kingdom!

 

I do have a few doubts.

 

1) What precisely is the concept of compression? I see it a lot on the Mn progression, but I don't really get it.

 

2) I tried to do Mn1 after the recovery period of the pilonidal cyst (right under the sacrum), but it ripped open the skin again and led to quite a lot of bleeding. Doctor said to wait for 3 to 4 more months before putting the whole body weight on it again while stretching it. He did say, however, hanging exercises could be fine, if skin did not rip, so it was ok to experiment with them. Therefore: do you suggest using some variation of 1/2 hanging leg raises (like bent legs or something) or to simply forgo Mn training for all of this time?

 

3) Is there a post dedicated to stretches that usually help people with additional mobility on exercises?

 

Thanks a lot!

Jon Douglas
Iguanus said:

A few months hiatus after surgery nearly drove me mad! But returning is probably the key to kingdom!

 

I do have a few doubts.

 

1) What precisely is the concept of compression? I see it a lot on the Mn progression, but I don't really get it.

 

2) I tried to do Mn1 after the recovery period of the pilonidal cyst (right under the sacrum), but it ripped open the skin again and led to quite a lot of bleeding. Doctor said to wait for 3 to 4 more months before putting the whole body weight on it again while stretching it. He did say, however, hanging exercises could be fine, if skin did not rip, so it was ok to experiment with them. Therefore: do you suggest using some variation of 1/2 hanging leg raises (like bent legs or something) or to simply forgo Mn training for all of this time?

 

3) Is there a post dedicated to stretches that usually help people with additional mobility on exercises?

 

Thanks a lot!

Welcome back!

 

1) Compression-- ability to press your thighs to your stomach with straight legs, against gravity. See straddle press handstand, v-sit. Heavily dependent on hip flexors, biceps femoris, and more as well as subtler traits on the active flexibility.

2) Holy crap that's awful! Yes, stick down to bent legs IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT but do not test this stuff for $$$$s and giggles! :) taking a little extra time is far preferable to taking 2x the time to heal.

3) The issue is that Kit Laughlin's work, recommended throughout, is considered by Coach (and others, including me) to be the single best source for pure flexibility available today. As of right now there is no official co-production and it's kind of hard to explain Kit's work in text, even setting aside not wanting to tread on his toes with his hard work in producing materials. Once you've seen stuff like Foundation and Stretching & Flexibility it's kind of hard to give advice that isn't exactly what is in those courses.

That said, all you're really missing in Foundation work is straddle, pike and splits (Which I think you'd be pretty close to regardless). Otherwise, it's pretty much a case of extending the mobility. Got a problem area?

Iguanus
Jon Douglas said:

Welcome back!

 

1) Compression-- ability to press your thighs to your stomach with straight legs, against gravity. See straddle press handstand, v-sit. Heavily dependent on hip flexors, biceps femoris, and more as well as subtler traits on the active flexibility.

2) Holy crap that's awful! Yes, stick down to bent legs IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT but do not test this stuff for $$$$s and giggles! :) taking a little extra time is far preferable to taking 2x the time to heal.

3) The issue is that Kit Laughlin's work, recommended throughout, is considered by Coach (and others, including me) to be the single best source for pure flexibility available today. As of right now there is no official co-production and it's kind of hard to explain Kit's work in text, even setting aside not wanting to tread on his toes with his hard work in producing materials. Once you've seen stuff like Foundation and Stretching & Flexibility it's kind of hard to give advice that isn't exactly what is in those courses.

That said, all you're really missing in Foundation work is straddle, pike and splits (Which I think you'd be pretty close to regardless). Otherwise, it's pretty much a case of extending the mobility. Got a problem area?

 

Thanks a ton for the input!

 

1) So, to train compression is somewhat the same as training active flexibility on the upper_leg-hips-core area? I do have quite some problems with flexibility in this area (and after 2 and a half months lying on my back most of the time, I guess I will have a huge strength gap too!). So that goes along with the third question: any way to train for it without siting on the floor? My guess is hanging leg raises and L or V-sits from a chair? I'll look forward to Kit's material!

 

2) I'll wait a few days and give it a shy try. Not so much for haste, but my abs are quite weak (long bed times) and posture will suffer plenty without a bit of core strehngth. So ABH will probably come in handy too, since they don't extend that area!

Iguanus

Hanging bet leg raises sucesfully done without bleeding (or even discomfort, for that matters)! Feels really good to have the whole spine aligned and decompressed from hanging =D

Jon Douglas

Cool, that gives you access to some good tools that will help you get back into the swing of it :)

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery~

mlaen

Iguanus, good luck with the recovery.... This is the same surgery that waits for me in a couple of months and I'm afraid that I'll lose most of my strength, mobility and flexibility gains during the recovery period (especially flexibilty, sice these comes so slooooooow) :(

Keilani Gutierrez

I had this operation before Foundation came out. let it seal completely before rolling around and let me know how ripping the scar tissue feels. >_<

Iguanus
mlaen said:

Iguanus, good luck with the recovery.... This is the same surgery that waits for me in a couple of months and I'm afraid that I'll lose most of my strength, mobility and flexibility gains during the recovery period (especially flexibilty, sice these comes so slooooooow) :(

Hey, man, it sucks hard, but there may be other ways to deal with it. There's a new surgery protocol that uses a resin/glue to speed up recovery! It let's you come back to sitting in 2-4 days, altough I suspect that physical exertion before glue is replaced by real organic tissue may be problematic. It just happens you may find substitutes for strength (hanging leg raises are a good example. I did find them pretty easy, so I'm probably gonna filme it to make sure my form is ok. But it was like first day mastery and I don't have even an average compression!). I also think that a few stretches may still be fine if they're done in a vertical fashion, but still not sure about it.

 

KeilaniG said:

I had this operation before Foundation came out. let it seal completely before rolling around and let me know how ripping the scar tissue feels. >_<

How was your recovery?

 

I found out that rolling for deck squats don't stress the scar. Perhaps because the roll is puts pressure for a brief time? Anyway, I would like to know if it's reasonanble to train just the regular squating - no rolling - to the bottom along with the skaters on the recovery period and give mastery a try with the rolls (should be happening soon, as 4x15 was feasible last week). What do you think?

Keilani Gutierrez
Iguanus said:

Hey, man, it sucks hard, but there may be other ways to deal with it. There's a new surgery protocol that uses a resin/glue to speed up recovery! It let's you come back to sitting in 2-4 days, altough I suspect that physical exertion before glue is replaced by real organic tissue may be problematic. It just happens you may find substitutes for strength (hanging leg raises are a good example. I did find them pretty easy, so I'm probably gonna filme it to make sure my form is ok. But it was like first day mastery and I don't have even an average compression!). I also think that a few stretches may still be fine if they're done in a vertical fashion, but still not sure about it.

How was your recovery?

I found out that rolling for deck squats don't stress the scar. Perhaps because the roll is puts pressure for a brief time? Anyway, I would like to know if it's reasonanble to train just the regular squating - no rolling - to the bottom along with the skaters on the recovery period and give mastery a try with the rolls (should be happening soon, as 4x15 was feasible last week). What do you think?

I wasn't training at that time but I was riding bmx and doing kung fu. i took a few days off from work(since i drive a lot), just laid down, it wasn't until i got the stitches taken off that i felt great enough to do anything because that "ripping" sensation I was getting was from the scabs getting ripped off the stitch material.

the operation wasn't as bad as the spinal tap, killed my mobility for a few solid days and then started coming back inch by inch.

don't roll or do mn pe with the stitches, would be the only advisable thing really