General Flexibility

Started by lewkowicz613, November 8, 2013 · 10 Replies · 2,942 Views

lewkowicz613

Hello,

I am trying to increase my overall lower body flexibilty.  I would like to eventually be able to do front and side splits and a full pancake.

I have started to increase my cardio, eliptical mainly. I preform dynamic leg warmup stretchs before my workout and static after. I usually do laying down hamsting stretches, then pancake and sitting hamsting stretches, then kneeling quad and hip flexor stretches.  Even though I have been preforming this routine for over 4 weeks I am not noticing any improvement. Any suggestions to help me reach (no pun intended) my goals?

Thanks

ChrisUK

I had kept hearing Kit Laughlin mentioned on this forum as the go-to guy for stretching and flexibility instruction. 

 

So I finally dished out a small fortune for his book and DvD (the shipping is what kills me, it is only available from Australia in it's current edition)

 

It just arrived a couple days ago, and I have to say the methodology seems sound and makes sense to me, it is split in to "Lessons" that you progress in, so I will hopefully be seeing small results here and there somewhat soon.

 

Point being, check him out. Everyone here who has gotten the book has seen good improvements with him, and I don't see why you and I would be any different.

jl5555

Two basic stretches and their variations will get you 90% of the way to your goal.  

 

  1. Low lunge  
  • Torso lifted, arms raised
  • Elbows on the ground, forward knee ahead or turned out
  1.  
  2. Half split
  • "Hurdler stretch" with butt on ground
  • Butt off ground, forward knee raised, various arm positions including dislocate

I would not bother with "pancake" stretches at this point.

sfbaystreetworkout

When you say "increased my cardio"--here you may have a part of the problem, I believe. When you're not naturally flexible and try to increase any leg work (cardio, deadlifts/squats, etc) it becomes harder to increase lower body flexibility (from personal experience). I'm not saying that one shouldn't do leg work, but rather saying that one should understand that any increased leg exercise will make stretching of lower body harder/muscles will try to shorten. I don't know if you're using high resistance on elliptical--cardio with low resistance (like running, uphill walkling) is generally less detrimental for lower body flexibility than resistance cardio (bike and elliptical intervals, etc).

lewkowicz613

How often should I stretch and for how long each time? What about the other 10%?

lewkowicz613

I am doing elliptical interval training.  So I guess that falls in your definition of resistance cardio.  Even though I am doing this type of cardio how often and for how long should I stretch?

sfbaystreetworkout
lewkowicz613 said:

I am doing elliptical interval training.  So I guess that falls in your definition of resistance cardio.  Even though I am doing this type of cardio how often and for how long should I stretch?

I am naturally inflexible, especially in hamstrings, and I know that intervals are absolute killer of flexibility gains...The  quads and glutes do grow from elliptical intervals; muscle growth = loss of flexibility in that muscle without extra stretching. At the very least stretch hamstrings/quads/calves/glutes after each session...

What helps me with hamstrings are quick floor reaches trying to put head on knees, here and there throughout the day, every day even...

Jon Douglas
sfbaystreetworkout said:

What helps me with hamstrings are quick floor reaches trying to put head on knees, here and there throughout the day, every day even...

Sfbayworkout, you have an at least uncommon physical condition which pathologically limits your flexibility (to some unknown extent) and makes the way you train it fundamentally different to how people without this condition need to approach it. I have to question why you are giving advice on this.

Ballistic movements on unprepared and cold muscles, notoriously hamstrings, is asking for an injury. Please don't do this, Lewcowicz. Generally if you have to ask whether you are prepared, you probably aren't.

sfbaystreetworkout
Jon Douglas said:

Sfbayworkout, you have an at least uncommon physical condition which pathologically limits your flexibility (to some unknown extent) and makes the way you train it fundamentally different to how people without this condition need to approach it. I have to question why you are giving advice on this.

Ballistic movements on unprepared and cold muscles, notoriously hamstrings, is asking for an injury. Please don't do this, Lewcowicz. Generally if you have to ask whether you are prepared, you probably aren't.

Any kind of resistance work for the muscle especially the kind that results in more muscle being built will result in that muscle trying to shorten/loss of flexibility, unless extra stretching is done.

Numerous people experienced this. If you haven't...perhaps you're uncommon.

I expressed personal opinion and I believe I am entitled to do so. Thanks.

I also had shred personal experience with tightened hamstrings after interval training.

Having unusual muscle condition doesn't make me a clueless idiot. 

Also, having hypertonic muscles does not make your body that fundamentally different from others.

Same principles apply, sorry.

I know a few things about sport  (perhaps more than you) so please don't tell me not to post my opinion.

Jon Douglas
sfbaystreetworkout said:

Any kind of resistance work for the muscle especially the kind that results in more muscle being built will result in that muscle trying to shorten/loss of flexibility, unless extra stretching is done.

Numerous people experienced this. If you haven't...perhaps you're uncommon.

I expressed personal opinion and I believe I am entitled to do so. Thanks.

I also had shred personal experience with tightened hamstrings after interval training.

Having unusual muscle condition doesn't make me a clueless idiot.

Also, having hypertonic muscles does not make your body that fundamentally different from others.

Same principles apply, sorry.

I know a few things about sport (perhaps more than you) so please don't tell me not to post my opinion.

Post your opinion, post your experiences, they make us all richer. Please don't post advice that may hurt people without indicating that it is just that-- your opinion. You are not fundamentally different to everyone, just the approach you need to increase your flexibility.

I am sure you know plenty. However, I do have this little mod thingy below my picture and this little athlete sticker on the right which say my opinion is valid on this board too. Please extend me the same courtesy you expect to receive :)

jl5555
lewkowicz613 said:

How often should I stretch and for how long each time? What about the other 10%?

Stretch as often as you like and for however long you desire/need.  

 

In my own case I do my static stretching after my "workout".  I vary it day to day depending on the time I can invest, mood, etc.  I would say that generally I stretch 5 times a week.   On longer days I will do 4 sets of 4 stretches on each side.  Each stretch is held for 5 deep, long diaphragm breaths.  That series takes me 20 minutes plus a bit of foam rolling.  On other days I cut it in half and do 2 sets each side.  That, obviously, takes 10 minutes.