This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lost my FL strength

Started by bigB, November 7, 2013 · 9 Replies · 352 Views

bigB

I've been performing just Foundation work( FL/PE6 5 * 30, but I'm going to cycle week 9 again because my feet touched the ground a few times.)

It seems I've regressed on my front lever.
4 months ago, I was able to FL adv tuck for 22s and 1 leg extented FL for 6 seconds.

I tried out these static holds the other day and I found that it was hard to hold the adv tuck FL for more than a few seconds.
I've read that at advanced levels the FL is more a core exercise; but for me, my back muscles seemed to be the limiting factor.

It seems that I'll have to start over from square one once we start FL skill work. 9 months work in the bin.

 

Anyone else experienced this?
I think I'm going to add a few sets of adv tuck FL to my workouts.

Joshua Slocum

Don't despair! Most likely, all your muscle is still there. You've lost some neurological adaptations because you haven't practiced the move in 9 months! Once you finish PE6 and begin more back-oriented you'll be back to where you were in short order. 

 

If you wish to add some light FL work for maintenance, that's fine. Just keep the volume low so it doesn't interfere with your Foundation progress. 

ChrisUK

Yeah I've regressed in certain areas too. I had a full lay front lever, full lay back lever, and a very sloppy straddle planche. I can't do front lever or planche any longer fully since starting foundation months ago and laying off of them.

It is because a large part of skill training for those is very specific training. If you are not training that specific element (ie adv tuck with 1 leg out) then after a couple months you will regress because your body is no longer used to performing it. The good thing is just as Josh said the adaptations come back much quicker than the first time, because your body has already gone through it once before.

Just think though, after months of foundation doesn't your body feel much stronger in general? I certainly feel that specifically my wrists from handstand 1 are stronger, and my core and back is much stronger than previously, despite no longer being able to do some of the skills I could previously. And when you get back to training those specific elements it will be so much smoother and you will be much less likely to plateau.

In short, it is worth not being able to do them for a short period of time, because in the long-term you will be much better equipt.

Jon Douglas

These ^^

 

Really don't stress, it will all come back very quickly as above.

 

The other possible reason for 'losing' strength is gaining more mobility/ROM in areas that you were only strong in due to tightness. Slightly longer term this helps you get stronger in RsOM outside your comfort zone, such as multi-plane pushing and pulling.

thanners
Jon Douglas said:

[...] in RsOM outside your comfort zone [...]

I appreciate someone that modifies an acronym into a plural by putting the 's' where it should be. (c:

On topic, though, I agree with what's been said. In many cases where I had (or thought I had) some more advanced moves that I've stopped actively practising since doing F1, on the occasion that I've gone back to try them, it hasn't taken too long to 'relearn' them, and in a couple of cases they've even felt stronger than when I last did them. Probably due to fixing weak links that held back the move originally.

Jon Douglas
thanners said:

I appreciate someone that modifies an acronym into a plural by putting the 's' where it should be. (c:

 

Yeah, it bothered me a little ^_^

PrimalMove

I'm pretty new, but I am experiencing the opposite. My floor straight  arm frog times went from 12second holds to 30 second holds, and I even managed to get a tucked position on p-bars. I can actually get a floor tuck l-sit today. So, I'm pretty happy there.

As for the bent strength, I am discouraged. The higher reps/sets seems to have some affect on my other areas. I dropped on average 3 reps on my one arm push up, and pistol.

Bipocni
thanners said:

I appreciate someone that modifies an acronym into a plural by putting the 's' where it should be. (c:

 

Jon Douglas said:

Yeah, it bothered me a little ^_^

I'm missing something here...  What does the s stand for?

Christian
Bipocni said:

I'm missing something here...  What does the s stand for?

RangeS of motion instead of Range of Motion

Bipocni
Christian said:

RangeS of motion instead of Range of Motion

Ah okay, thanks.