This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain in lower back after SL/PE8

Started by paul3, November 6, 2013 · 10 Replies · 286 Views

paul3

Hi everyone,

 

So more than a month ago, while doing Supine Windshield Wiper (SL/PE8), I felt a weird little 'sensation' in my right lower back. I don't know how to really explain it, neither can I really remember. It took a split second, and from then on I felt a little discomfort during the exercise. I did finish that week, not suspecting it would get really serious. However the discomfort turned into pain and I stopped training and it is still not gone, after more than 5 weeks of not training.

I would like to know if anybody could tell me which muscle I 'strained' or even what I did to my muscle.

It hurts, inter alia, when I twist my torso. I feel it really badly when I lay on the ground on my stomach, leaning on my elbows and kind of tilt my pelvis so that my bottom gets off the ground.

If anybody knows which muscle I injured, and how to do something about it, please help me!

If you need to have more information about when it hurts in order to be more sure what it is, feel free to ask.

I just really want this to go away and get back to training again.

 

Thanks in advance!

Kasper Stangerup

I'd suggest you consult a professional. A PT or other specialist who can observe and manipulate your body directly. It will be money well spent.

Jon Douglas

I developed something similar a few years back doing butterfly twists. Turned out to be referred pain from a pull somewhere in the glutes. Stretching this area correctly fixed it up very quickly.

This expressed itself as pain in my lower back, could have sworn I had pulled something there, and it came up whenever I twisted, much worse if I twisted under load or with power. Trunk flexion was otherwise fine. If that sounds like you, you can give this stretch a try;

 

- Stand on one leg, elevate the other at 90 degrees on a table or such

- Turn at the hip (shin along the table, across your body) so that you create another 90 degree angle at the knee

- Get a gentle stretch at this position; you can lean further forward over it if you need to

 

Without question the best thing you can do is consult a professional and my advice could potentially do more harm than good if you've pulled something- muscles down the back can be so delicate. If you can carefully ease into the stretch without pain, though, you might benefit from it.

paul3
Kasper Stangerup said:

I'd suggest you consult a professional. A PT or other specialist who can observe and manipulate your body directly. It will be money well spent.

 

 

Jon Douglas said:

I developed something similar a few years back doing butterfly twists. Turned out to be referred pain from a pull somewhere in the glutes. Stretching this area correctly fixed it up very quickly.

This expressed itself as pain in my lower back, could have sworn I had pulled something there, and it came up whenever I twisted, much worse if I twisted under load or with power. Trunk flexion was otherwise fine. If that sounds like you, you can give this stretch a try;

 

- Stand on one leg, elevate the other at 90 degrees on a table or such

- Turn at the hip (shin along the table, across your body) so that you create another 90 degree angle at the knee

- Get a gentle stretch at this position; you can lean further forward over it if you need to

 

Without question the best thing you can do is consult a professional and my advice could potentially do more harm than good if you've pulled something- muscles down the back can be so delicate. If you can carefully ease into the stretch without pain, though, you might benefit from it.

In fact, I have been seeing a PT for the last month or so. I live in Holland with health insurance so I don't even have to pay extra :).

But the PT did not really help me, she did not even have to hear how it happened. She basically immediately drew her conclusion. She thought my lower back pain was due to the fact that I did not move my lower vertebrea enough, causing stiffness in my lower vertebrea and thus causing little muscles in that area to contract which led to pain. So she tried to make them more mobile, but it did not affect my pain at all.

 

I actually noticed a weird tension in my glutes, for example when I tried to go into a lotus position I feel a part of my right upper leg really badly. The same area which I feel doing that stretch. By the way, just to be more sure, were you also not able to touch the painful part? It is like in front of my pelvis, so I cannot touch it from the back. And in order to reach it from the front I'd have to pass all kinds of organs, which I cannot.

Because what you are mentioning really sounds like my injury.

 

Thanks for responding by the way!

Jon Douglas
paul3 said:

In fact, I have been seeing a PT for the last month or so. I live in Holland with health insurance so I don't even have to pay extra :).

But the PT did not really help me, she did not even have to hear how it happened. She basically immediately drew her conclusion. She thought my lower back pain was due to the fact that I did not move my lower vertebrea enough, causing stiffness in my lower vertebrea and thus causing little muscles in that area to contract which led to pain. So she tried to make them more mobile, but it did not affect my pain at all.

 

I actually noticed a weird tension in my glutes, for example when I tried to go into a lotus position I feel a part of my right upper leg really badly. The same area which I feel doing that stretch. By the way, just to be more sure, were you also not able to touch the painful part? It is like in front of my pelvis, so I cannot touch it from the back. And in order to reach it from the front I'd have to pass all kinds of organs, which I cannot.

Because what you are mentioning really sounds like my injury.

 

Thanks for responding by the way!

It was a few years ago, but that sounds just like what I experienced. Just be gentle with it, don't force anything. I also went to a professional who told me it was a lower back issue; only going to another one a couple of months without results later got me this stretch which literally fixed it in a couple of days and I haven't experienced it since then.

paul3
Jon Douglas said:

It was a few years ago, but that sounds just like what I experienced. Just be gentle with it, don't force anything. I also went to a professional who told me it was a lower back issue; only going to another one a couple of months without results later got me this stretch which literally fixed it in a couple of days and I haven't experienced it since then.

Alright then. Yesterday I already did the stretching exercise, and being a little stubborn, I kind of overdid it. Today I felt my back hurt more than normal, however it does mean that I am targetting the right area. Of course from now on I will be very gentle doing the stretch.

I really hope my injury will be gone soon too.

Thanks man!

Jon Douglas
paul3 said:

Alright then. Yesterday I already did the stretching exercise, and being a little stubborn, I kind of overdid it. Today I felt my back hurt more than normal, however it does mean that I am targetting the right area. Of course from now on I will be very gentle doing the stretch.

I really hope my injury will be gone soon too.

Thanks man!

Gentle, gentle :P you are trying to relieve referred pressure, not tear anything open!

If it helps, fantastic, I knew it all along ;)

paul3
Jon Douglas said:

Gentle, gentle :P you are trying to relieve referred pressure, not tear anything open!

If it helps, fantastic, I knew it all along ;)

I just really want to thank you for your tip. A little late, but still thank you so much! After your advice I started stretching and it started working. However after about a week my back was back to hurting again due to someone running up against me in a game during physical exercise at school. But after that I just used your stretching exercises and I think it was beginning of december that I was able to train again. So thanks!

Jon Douglas
paul3 said:

I just really want to thank you for your tip. A little late, but still thank you so much! After your advice I started stretching and it started working. However after about a week my back was back to hurting again due to someone running up against me in a game during physical exercise at school. But after that I just used your stretching exercises and I think it was beginning of december that I was able to train again. So thanks!

Cool, same issue as mine then. May was well benefit from me going through it once already ^_^ glad you feel better