This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression

Started by colin, November 5, 2013 · 12 Replies · 331 Views

colin

Hi

I have already asked this question but never got a clear answer and since I already bought all foundation courses I don't think it would be wrong to ask. So once again, in rope climb section and front lever section there is nothing that I can be challenged with in first 2 foundations, I mastered mobility and strength, and instead of adding weights to exercises, maybe someone could hint me on what to do next. I really enjoy doing front lever pulls, front pulls, back levers, hand stands and some other exercises and I thought that some of them might be used for farther progression, but I am not sure where to through these exercises in. Some help would be appreciated.

Thx

Guest

Awesome job. My suggestion would be this, but I am not qualified, so take it lightly:

 

// Hold the top of this position until you can hit 30 seconds in one set.

 

Master 5x30s tuck front lever with scapulae retracted.

Master 5x5 tuck front lever pullups/rows with good ROM

Master 5x5 Straddle Negative Front Levers with a 10s descent, then full lay.

 

Do you mind posting a form check for a few of the elements, like L sit Bulgarian pullups and straight arm body levers? You may be incorrect in some the form of some elements, and just in case we can fix it for you.

Jon Douglas

Bah, I'm jealous of your kip extension mastery. I can't seem to get 5 good reps anywhere after my 3rd set >.< spending so much time on them, even though body levers are so easy now

Good job :)

Joshua Slocum
colin said:

Hi

I have already asked this question but never got a clear answer and since I already bought all foundation courses I don't think it would be wrong to ask. So once again, in rope climb section and front lever section there is nothing that I can be challenged with in first 2 foundations, I mastered mobility and strength, and instead of adding weights to exercises, maybe someone could hint me on what to do next. I really enjoy doing front lever pulls, front pulls, back levers, hand stands and some other exercises and I thought that some of them might be used for farther progression, but I am not sure where to through these exercises in. Some help would be appreciated.

Thx

Try 5x30s mastery of tucked FL, then 5x15 mastery of tucked FL pull. 

 

For RC, do you have a rope you can start using? 

colin

I am ok with mobility and pulling strength, I guess that comes from wrestling for many years. However things like planche and mana i am at first phases of foundation 1, huge imbalance. I will try to make a video of my form if I get someone to shoot me.I can already hold straddle front lever for few seconds but could never think I would need to do 5x15 tucked rows, that's gonna keep me busy. Yes I have the rope and I can climb it, 3x5meters. Should I completely stop doing pull ups and replace it with some weighted rope climbs. Can I through in somewhere front lever pulls or maybe train for OAC? Also, how do I implement it ? in the template it is said to do front lever progressions and rope climbs in the same workout, if I start tucked front lever pulls progression and rope climb in the same workout, that might be too much pulling in one workout, FL progression didn't interfere in the first foundations, since exercises didn't involve that much bent arm pulling.

Thx

Joshua Slocum

A front-lever pull is not a front-lever row. To perform a front-lever pull, begin in a hang, and pull (with straight arms) through a front lever, to an inverted hang. Then slowly lower back down. 

 

For rope-climb progressions, you could keep mastering harder pull-up variations. E.g. wide-grip behind the neck pullups in an L-sit. Or wide-grip pull up to lat-fly to wide-grip behind the neck pull up to lat fly. Or you could begin front-lever row variations. Or you could try rope-climb variations.

colin
Joshua Slocum said:

A front-lever pull is not a front-lever row. To perform a front-lever pull, begin in a hang, and pull (with straight arms) through a front lever, to an inverted hang. Then slowly lower back down.

For rope-climb progressions, you could keep mastering harder pull-up variations. E.g. wide-grip behind the neck pullups in an L-sit. Or wide-grip pull up to lat-fly to wide-grip behind the neck pull up to lat fly. Or you could begin front-lever row variations. Or you could try rope-climb variations.

Hi

I know how to do front lever pulls, I was wondering where I could implement front lever pulls in the template given in foundation 1and 2. In the front lever workout or rope climb? It is a bit confusing, you have just suggested to do front lever pull for rope climb progression.

Thx.

Joshua Slocum
colin said:

Hi

I know how to do front lever pulls, I was wondering where I could implement front lever pulls in the template given in foundation 1and 2. In the front lever workout or rope climb? It is a bit confusing, you have just suggested to do front lever pull for rope climb progression.

Thx.

No, I did not suggest doing front lever pulls in rope climb progressions. I suggested doing front lever rows. Front-lever pulls are a straight-arm strength skill and should be worked in front-lever progressions. Front-lever rows are bent-arm strength; if you choose to work them, they should be worked in the rope-climb part of your workout. 

colin
Joshua Slocum said:

No, I did not suggest doing front lever pulls in rope climb progressions. I suggested doing front lever rows. Front-lever pulls are a straight-arm strength skill and should be worked in front-lever progressions. Front-lever rows are bent-arm strength; if you choose to work them, they should be worked in the rope-climb part of your workout.

Ok, the picture is getting clearer now. So, after mastering FL in foundation 2, should I work with front lever pulls? or tuck lever holds? What is the sequence and master requirements?

Thx.

Joshua Slocum
colin said:

Ok, the picture is getting clearer now. So, after mastering FL in foundation 2, should I work with front lever pulls? or tuck lever holds? What is the sequence and master requirements?

Thx.

Try 5x30s mastery of tucked FL, then 5x15 mastery of tucked FL pull. 

colin
Joshua Slocum said:

A front-lever pull is not a front-lever row. To perform a front-lever pull, begin in a hang, and pull (with straight arms) through a front lever, to an inverted hang. Then slowly lower back down.

For rope-climb progressions, you could keep mastering harder pull-up variations. E.g. wide-grip behind the neck pullups in an L-sit. Or wide-grip pull up to lat-fly to wide-grip behind the neck pull up to lat fly. Or you could begin front-lever row variations. Or you could try rope-climb variations.

Dude thx for your help, but according to coach Sommer this is front lever pull and that would be bent arm strength, I think you meant. Front pulls to inverted hung. 5x 15 ? Shouldn't I master first some number of ordinary front pulls and than progress to inverted ones?

http://youtu.be/pwCv1Yjb8MI

Thx

Joshua Slocum
colin said:

Dude thx for your help, but according to coach Sommer this is front lever pull http://youtu.be/pwCv1Yjb8MI And that would be bent arm strength, I think you meant. Front pulls to inverted hung. 5x 15 ? Shouldn't I master first some number of ordinary front pulls and than progress to inverted ones?

Thx

The exercise I'm recommending is a press from a hanging tuck to a tucked inverted hang. It is performed with straight arms. If you like, call it a 'front-lever press from hang to inverted hang'

Jon Douglas

That would be front pulls, performed with straight arms.

The FL pulls would be better placed in RC progression.