Magnesium supplementation

Started by Micawberian, November 4, 2013 · 7 Replies · 3,321 Views

Micawberian

Hello all,

I have some extra income coming my way and thought it would be about time I would finally get around to getting some magnesium supplements.

Are there any specific brands that people here recommend? I went down to my grocery store but could only find citrate, zma's, and oxide. My poop is already quite a-ok so I am skeptical of taking citrate form. Don't want to be pooping all day...

Finding some quality products has been a PITA, but I've come across Poliquin's ubermag and zen-mag, it looks like they have put a lot of quality into these. Has anybody used these?

http://main.poliquinstore.com/ubermagpx

 

http://eu.poliquinstore.com/supplements/sleep-stress/zen-mag-liquid

 

I am pretty interested in the zen-mag since I have a psychological barrier towards swallowing pills (work in progress).

Thanks, guys

TANSTAAFL

The Nutrabio stuff is pretty good. You can get powder and lasts a crap long time...also no additives. Slizzardman(aka Herr Naterman) has given endorsement of them also. I have the Mag and the ZMA in powder. As far as easier than pills...it's definitely different. I must forewarn that it can go just as wrong(if not moreso) than gagging on a pill if you don't swallow just right and then you have powder in your nasal passage as well as all over the kitchen. Fun times.

Micawberian

Aha, I was hoping you would chime in, Mr. resident nutrition expert!

Thanks very much, I had no idea powdered forms exist and I'll check out that brand. I suppose powder gives the benefit of allowing one to experiment more precisely with the quantity ingested. I'll just have to risk the nasal fun times...I've had my fair share of those. When I was a young indian stud, sometimes I would get clumps of black salt in certain foods. That is not fun!

Christoph

I like aspartate best. I didn't find effervescent tablets without sweetener nor sugar (in Germany or France), so I'm buying some capsules, open and (kind of) dissolve them.

TANSTAAFL
Biren P. said:

Aha, I was hoping you would chime in, Mr. resident nutrition expert!

 

I am definitely not that. But I will gladly accept paypal or bitcoin donations at any time B-) .

 

Christoph said:

I like aspartate best. I didn't find effervescent tablets without sweetener nor sugar (in Germany or France), so I'm buying some capsules, open and (kind of) dissolve them.

I was in the middle of deck squat sets when I saw this and I read it as "I like aspertame best."

Washienko

Hey, this is my first post :)

 

I prefer topical Magnesium chloride (the Earth shift product is very good).  Also, Epson Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) in a bath is effective and cheap.  Plus, Epson Salt with a dash of Baking Soda in a bath will give you great skin (and has done wonders for my acne).

Frankincensed

I hate it when people answer a question with a question but ... is there a reason why you can't get enough mag. from your food?

TANSTAAFL
Frankincensed said:

I hate it when people answer a question with a question but ... is there a reason why you can't get enough mag. from your food?

They took that outa food a while back :unsure: .