This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Importance of F7

Started by ChrisUK, November 3, 2013 · 12 Replies · 488 Views

ChrisUK

Hey guys,

 

Quick question regarding workload.

 

I have been doing Foundation since June, and already had a strong workload capacity from calisthenics/street workout previously. But since starting college again I have time to do a 4 day split of the first 4 elements one day and the last 3 the other day.

 

I know after a while you should ideally be doing all Foundation elements in the same day, in the same workout. However, I do not have a solid period of time to do them all at once, even though I am physically capable and would benefit from it. My only options would be to get up at 6 am, and I really wouldn't get enough sleep then. 

 

So, assuming I stick to my current split throughout foundation, how much will it affect me later on in the GB curriculum? Will my workload capacity not be enough for the Rings and later courses?

 

I'm just curious how critical it is to long-term success if I will really be affected that much.

 

Thanks,

 

Chris.

Daniel Burnham

I don't do all elements in one day. I don't really plan to either.

Adriano Augusto

Is just a matter of preferences and of course individual work capacity. Some people has better progress with 4 days split, some with F7x3 days a week; do what works better for you. You've to take experience with all too and find what its works better.

 

About this:

 

"I know after a while you should ideally be doing all Foundation elements in the same day, in the same workout."

 

It's not like that at all. F7 is just other way of programming; is just that, nothing else. It's not the "goal". With these things, more it is not neccesary better, on the contrary: the less the better.

 

Work capacity is something that you gradually builds up based on exercises and its difficulty, at least in gymnastics (if I'm not wrong). When you're more advanced on Foundation series, even with HS1, you'll be satisfied with a 3days a week program, for example. 

 

At your main question I don't have the knowledge to answer you properly, but for the countless of reading in this forum, I think it doesn't really matter at least for now that we're all in the early curriculum.

Ravn

^ +1

Sounds like most people who have done F7 have eventually gone back to the forur or five day split.

Guest

I do F7 and H1 at the moment each twice a week (four day split) and get up at 5:00am to go train at a school playground. I go to bed what ever time best suits the day, There are benefits for doing F7 such as building up strength endurance, which will come in handy for certification. So either make time for F7 or stick to your current schedule, I'm not sure if it will make a difference which one you choose but Coach will know. 

Jon Douglas

Just think, all those 5x60 and 5x5 leading up to eg) a manna, will eventually be surpassed by a couple of 10 second holds in that final position.

Facing F7 3x a week becomes both easier and harder as you progress, because the schemes are shorter (but obviously each individual rep is more taxing).

Adriano Augusto
Jon Douglas said:

Just think, all those 5x60 and 5x5 leading up to eg) a manna, will eventually be surpassed by a couple of 10 second holds in that final position.

Facing F7 3x a week becomes both easier and harder as you progress, because the schemes are shorter (but obviously each individual rep is more taxing).

 

Totally right. My "infinite" weeks with HBP/PE2 doing pushups from week 9 to 12 are nothing now compared with my 5x6 HBP/PE3 days. Less work but definitely more intense.

Murray Truelove

F1(7) is tough, especially with the early PE's where reps are high and holds are long. I stopped doing it as each PE hit the 5x15r/60s mark, I may go back to it when it's more like 5x5. However I've made gains consistently doing a 4 day split so there's no need for me to do F1(7).

 

It's all about finding what fits for you. I think most people recommend trying something new for a few weeks then reevaluate. 

Jon Douglas
Murray Truelove said:

F1(7) is tough, especially with the early PE's where reps are high and holds are long. I stopped doing it as each PE hit the 5x15r/60s mark, I may go back to it when it's more like 5x5. However I've made gains consistently doing a 4 day split so there's no need for me to do F1(7).

 

It's all about finding what fits for you. I think most people recommend trying something new for a few weeks then reevaluate. 

That's it :)

Look at it like medicine. You don't keep taking more to get well faster. You stimulate a response with the minimum 'damage' or interruption to your regularly scheduled homeostasis, and then you let the body process take over.

As long as you take 'enough,' more may help, may not, depending on whether your body can handle, accept and adapt to more stimulus.

:)

LateStarter@46
Adriano Flo said:

 

Jon Douglas said:

Just think, all those 5x60 and 5x5 leading up to eg) a manna, will eventually be surpassed by a couple of 10 second holds in that final position.

Facing F7 3x a week becomes both easier and harder as you progress, because the schemes are shorter (but obviously each individual rep is more taxing).

 

Totally right. My "infinite" weeks with HBP/PE2 doing pushups from week 9 to 12 are nothing now compared with my 5x6 HBP/PE3 days. Less work but definitely more intense.

 

Yes, I found that too and have gone so far as to put HBP/PE3 at the start of my stretching session (lunch time) rather than doing it when knackered from the RC FL sPl session (early morning). That way I feel that I can give it a good effort.

Later on I will move from the four day split to F7 after increasing amounts of the dreaded cardio to improve endurance.

 

Horses for courses!

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

 

the dreaded cardio to improve endurance.

 

http://cdn.meme.li/i/n25ej.jpg

 

Edit;

Don't take this to heart ^_^

LateStarter@46
Jon Douglas said:

Ha ha!

 

I meant concept2 rowing, jacobs ladder, and treadmills actually  :)

ChrisUK

I appreciate the quick responses guys!

 

So it seems it is not as important as I thought. I guess I'll get the best of both worlds and whilst at college I will do a 4 day split, and at home when I have more time I will do F7. 

 

Murray Truelove said:

F1(7) is tough, especially with the early PE's where reps are high and holds are long. I stopped doing it as each PE hit the 5x15r/60s mark, I may go back to it when it's more like 5x5. However I've made gains consistently doing a 4 day split so there's no need for me to do F1(7).

 

It's all about finding what fits for you. I think most people recommend trying something new for a few weeks then reevaluate. 

That was a brilliant response, thanks!