This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Injury + hand stand implementation

Started by colin, November 3, 2013 · 3 Replies · 102 Views

colin

Hi

I have 2 questions, one regarding handstand, second working around injury. I am recovering from scapholunate ligament reconstruction, it has been a long time and complete recovery in my case will never happen, there is too much scar tissue and my wrist mobility is at 60% at best, so a lot of floor progressions are out of question. But most of these exercises I can do using my knuckles, I even tried to start walking on my hands again, and after a few tries, fists walking are not as hard as it sounds. My question is ,how would you approach these progressions in my case? For example use parallettes , fists, or rings to replace holds? or maybe work on finger strength and do it using fingers, using fingers seems to be pain free too and I saw some people doing planche and mana kind of supporting themselves on fingers.

Second question relates to wall handstands. Should I do them before foundation workout ( I assume I should do it along planche progression) or after? And how does it relate to sets and time spent in each handstand set. Currently I can hold it for 4 minutes on my fists.

Thx.

Bipocni

I can't speak as to working F1 or H1 on your fists, but if it's any comfort, I heard of a guy who learned to planche on his fists because he found the standard version to hard on his wrists.

 

I think if you can hold a 4 minute wall handstand, you need to up the difficulty.  Have you tried handstand wall runs?

Keilani Gutierrez

i've been working through quite a bit of scar tissue and some of it has been an interesting experience...the other day i got this searig hot pain in my right hip flexor and as soon as it happened it was gone, i went back to normal after checking myself for a skin tear or an internal lesion, but thats been about the most uncomfortable thing scar tissue has done to me and i've been thrown out of a trampoline straight to my femur to knock my whole hip out of alignment.

is the nature of your injury really that intense? i hope it isn't.

have you tested out parallettes and seen how you feel about them? also, have you asked a GB coach what they recommend in your case? because it's very specific and you wouldn't want to make things worse down the road for yourself

colin

Hey

Yes injury is quite serious and using my palms is not possible and it won't be. How do I ask the coach? Do I. Need to post in some specific part of the forum?

Thx.