This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Are bench dips harder than pseudo planche push-ups?

Started by colin, November 3, 2013 · 17 Replies · 556 Views

colin

I've just took a glance at progressions and I am wondering why bench dips are after pseudo planche push ups. Bench dips are much easier.

Guest

Logical progression. Horizontal pushing: Incline pushups > Pushups > PPPU, then vertical pushing: bench dips prepare you for negatives, negatives prepare you for the real thing.

Jon Douglas

Then in theory rotate back to HESPU negatives, which are easier than dips for many, work up to hard HSPU, maybe XR HSPU, then rotate through easier MPPr to hollowback press HS.

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

Then in theory rotate back to HESPU negatives, which are easier than dips for many, work up to hard HSPU, maybe XR HSPU, then rotate through easier MPPr to hollowback press HS.

I don't think XR handstand work is going to appear in foundation.  I'm expecting it in H2, since that's a co-requisite for the rings series.  I am expecting tiger bends, however.

Guest

As a side note, I haven't even mastered pushups yet and I can do ring dips without any prior experience what so ever. Coach is a magician I tell you. ;)

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

I don't think XR handstand work is going to appear in foundation.  I'm expecting it in H2, since that's a co-requisite for the rings series.  I am expecting tiger bends, however.

Well, there is some ring pressing work in F2 (discussed in the relevant forum). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect XR strap HPSU.

Can't tell you what I know about H2 sorry :)

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

Can't tell you what I know about H2 sorry :)

Well, the obvious progressions for me is:

 

H1 - freestanding handstand

H2 - ring handstand

H3 - one arm handstand

 

But then I seem to remember hearing that gymnasts don't tend to train one arm handstands, because they can't compete in them.

 

So maybe H3 would be training various transitions into and out of handstand, as well as moving around while you're in the handstand ie handstand pushups and the like.

 

But then I know you can't talk about what you learn at the seminars.  Do you really get access to the full GB curriculum if you go to one?

Joakim Anderson
Bipocni said:

Do you really get access to the full GB curriculum if you go to one?

 

I didn't. More like an introduction to F1 and H1.

dritar

I'm betting H2 and H3 are about press handstands more than one handers.

federicoC

I think bench dips are way easier, but the point is that I assume there is no need to keep a linear progression in difficulty to build a long term program. 

thecolin

Remember that this isn't like a weight lifting program where it's just about adding more and more resistance. It's also about training the CNS and building up the required mobility. In terms of resistance it's a step down, but as a progression of pressing motions it makes perfect sense.

Christian
Bipocni said:

Well, the obvious progressions for me is:

H1 - freestanding handstand

H2 - ring handstand

H3 - one arm handstand

I think H2 is press HS, H3 could be ring HS, but I have no idea.

-MR
thecolin said:

Remember that this isn't like a weight lifting program where it's just about adding more and more resistance. It's also about training the CNS and building up the required mobility. In terms of resistance it's a step down, but as a progression of pressing motions it makes perfect sense.

I agree. I suspect all of these high rep/low rest movements we're doing at the beginning are there to make sure we have enough mobility, vascularity, and tendon strength to be able to move on to the harder, more demanding elements in the future. 

Adriano Augusto
Christian said:

I think H2 is press HS, H3 could be ring HS, but I have no idea.

I vote for that. 

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

But then I know you can't talk about what you learn at the seminars.  Do you really get access to the full GB curriculum if you go to one?

Depends on the level of the group. We went into some depth on H2, M1-2, R1-2 and Hungarian in addition to the current products. Only Yuri and Zach could go higher than that in our bunch. We discussed plenty more, especially in terms of programming/integration, and I can confidently say the courses are designed to take you far higher than you expect. There were a lot of new beginners in my group, no one certified aside from Yuri and Zach, so we went into lots of depth on F1 in particular, and it took time to teach and refine the basics. We did very little F3 and I don't think any F4 material aside from maybe a couple mobility drills. All the coaches are perfectionists and put you on the straight and narrow from the beginning.

 

As Coach has said, it's in your interest to certify prior to the seminar, otherwise you are in the 0.5 group no matter how strong you are. My experience is that he will treat you as one of his students and push you as far as you are capable of, and has the experience to know where that is better than you do-- I got introduced to a bunch of mobility and ring elements I'd never tried before. Unfortunately that just has to be balanced out with the demands of time, sheer volume of material and being part of a class rather than individual training. That's life sadly, if we could reproduce Coach's knowledge so that we could all have 1on1 training then we wouldn't need the courses, would we? :)

Jon Douglas

Oh, and to make sure Im not underselling the Hungarian, let me clarify we did a scaled down version of it. It still kicked our asses hard. Heath and Jeff were like terminators, perfect form throughout.

That's about as much as I can say, I think :) we all know the pre req list after all, its not an exaggeration

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

Oh, and to make sure Im not underselling the Hungarian, let me clarify we did a scaled down version of it. It still kicked our asses hard. Heath and Jeff were like terminators, perfect form throughout.

That's about as much as I can say, I think :) we all know the pre req list after all, its not an exaggeration

I really, really want to know what's in Hungarian. The name is so vague.  It could be anything!

 

The curiosity burns within me....

Adriano Augusto

I don't want to know what Hungarian is... I WANT TO DO IT! So, with Jon's post I've more motivation to keep progress through Foundations and to discover what Coach's has to prepare for us.

 

Yeeeeeeeah!