This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bar weight for PE5 PE6?

Started by Gehan Gonsalkorale, October 31, 2013 · 13 Replies · 468 Views

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Hi,

 

It says weighted bar but in the videos a wooden stick seems to be used. Is that all is needed for weight or are you supposed to add more?

 

If so at my gym the lightest bar is 3kg (6.6lb), is that ok or lighter/heavier? I guess the idea is to help shoulder flexibility so you want resistance but it's not a strength thing right?

 

Thanks,

Gehan

MT Nordic

Hi Gehan,

 

I'm working PE6 right now and using about 12 lbs.  I believe you want at least 5 lbs, and then work up from there if it becomes easy for you.  It shouldn't overly tire you out for your wall runs, but you do want to build strength through that range of motion.  You can use a wooden dowel and just put weight on it in the middle. 

Coach Sommer
Gehan Gonsalkorale said:

... I guess the idea is to help shoulder flexibility so you want resistance but it's not a strength thing right? ...

 

Incorrect.  :)

 

It is active mobility so it is most definitely a strength thing.  You simply need to remember that the muscles involved are not primary movers and begin your training appropriately.  The starting weight should be in the neighborhood of 3-5lbs and then progressively build up to at least 25lbs.  Some of the stronger students will be able to build to 35 or even 45lbs.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

The question should be when is it considered masterd? For example if you hold pe5 for 30 seconds with 5lbs x5 sets do you then move on to pe6 and using pe5 as a warm up while slowly increasing the weight but the main focus being pe6 or do you work up to a certain weight before its considered mastered? The same could be asked about the dislocate mobility exercises.

Mark Collins

My 0.5kg feels like 20kg. Does that count?

ausswe said:

The question should be when is it considered masterd? For example if you hold pe5 for 30 seconds with 5lbs x5 sets do you then move on to pe6 and using pe5 as a warm up while slowly increasing the weight but the main focus being pe6 or do you work up to a certain weight before its considered mastered? The same could be asked about the dislocate mobility exercises.

Good question. I was wondering the same.

Arto

.

Gehan Gonsalkorale
Coach Sommer said:

Incorrect.   :)

 

It is active mobility so it is most definitely a strength thing.  You simply need to remember that the muscles involved are not primary movers and begin your training appropriately.  The starting weight should be in the neighborhood of 3-5lbs and then progressively build up to at least 25lbs.  Some of the stronger students will be able to build to 35 or even 45lbs.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Great thanks for the advice coach! I'll try to build up  as prescribed

 

I love F1/HS1 but I find that some exercise descriptions are missing some advice like the above - advice which I would personally consider quite essential! Perhaps an addition to consider for the web format?

Alessandro Mainente

From my experience for a great carryover from an element to another 10 kg is a must.

In my case as the weight increase i feel less shoulder problem. 

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Good to know.

 

It sounds like you are using muscles you don't usually use so strength gains could be pretty quick?

Mark Collins
alex87 said:

From my experience for a great carryover from an element to another 10 kg is a must.

In my case as the weight increase i feel less shoulder problem.

I was tempted to rush through this with a light weight, but I can see if I spend some time on it and build the weight holding a handstand will be much easier.

Alessandro Mainente

For example i moved over 10+ kg in the last 2 elements of IM for HS. The difference in term of strength seem to be low, but on your handstand line you can see that you can move the wrist under the shoulder with a perfect 180° without lose your hollow.

Keilani Gutierrez
alex87 said:

For example i moved over 10+ kg in the last 2 elements of IM for HS. The difference in term of strength seem to be low, but on your handstand line you can see that you can move the wrist under the shoulder with a perfect 180° without lose your hollow.

oh dang.
IcedDante
Coach Sommer said:

Incorrect.   :)

 

It is active mobility so it is most definitely a strength thing.  You simply need to remember that the muscles involved are not primary movers and begin your training appropriately.  The starting weight should be in the neighborhood of 3-5lbs and then progressively build up to at least 25lbs.  Some of the stronger students will be able to build to 35 or even 45lbs.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, since you have this specific information for the weighted bar iMs I think they should be added to the description in the actual H1 product.

Mark Collins

I can now do 0.5kg for 4x30secs. Even though this sounds light my traps have really improved to the point where it has helped my olympic weightlifting. I did some power cleans the other day. Normally I get sore traps the next day, but I had nothing.

It would be interesting to work out how much power the traps exert against the stiffness in the shoulders and against the bar in PE5. Alex you are a beast using 10kg.