Knee tracking during complex movements; ie burpees

Started by Bipocni, October 31, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,263 Views

Bipocni

How do I stop my knees caving in during burpees?

 

When I do a standard bodyweight squat I tend to have my knees slightly less than shoulder width apart and I focus on pushing my knees further out than my feet (I basically think about squatting "inside" my knees) I think this is a pretty effective way to protect your knees during squats, but it doesn't work so well during burpees (because my arms get in the way)

 

With burpees, the advice I've been given is to squat with my feet outside my hands, but then the knees have nowhere to go but in. I tend to try to do them with my feet landing in between my hands but still my knees tend to cave inwards slightly as well as the arch of my foot collapsing.  In fact, this lack of a decent way to track my knees properly has led me to stop doing burpees altogether.  I can't say I miss them, but.....

 

Anyway, how do I stop my knees caving in during burpees?

Keilani Gutierrez

hmm for that one, i'd need a video. because it -could- be fixed by simply mobilizing your rotators(intenal because they want to snap the knee in, external to allow the straight back while you descend and so you can push your knees out) but besides that im not quite so sure what could be the issue.

you could also jump our feet up in between your hands like in a vinyasa and close squat your way up.

do you do jumping or stop at the squat?

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

do you do jumping or stop at the squat?

Jumping, but the problem is when I come forward from the pushup.  My knees aren't absorbing the impact properly, which leads to a breakdown of form.

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

Jumping, but the problem is when I come forward from the pushup.  My knees aren't absorbing the impact properly, which leads to a breakdown of form.

a video could help us strategize for it, if you want to go that route. 

 

because what I'm thinking is if you're hands are shoulder width and feet together, i'd aim for a spot between your hands but farther back and just keep your feet together the entire time. as soon as you jump, weight is in the front, so you'll have to dial in how you shift the balance between your hands to your feet and squat up. 

 

or just do a deck squat to pushup, jump your feet forward and roll backwards + repeat. 

 

what do you think?