This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation 1 and 2

Started by colin, October 30, 2013 · 13 Replies · 437 Views

colin

Hi

I have just bought all the foundation series and I have to say I like it, I see some holes in my mobility, but a lot of this exercises are too easy for me. For example I can do 8 pull ups with extra 40 kg and I can definitely climb the rope a few times. I can do front lever pulls and things like muscle ups back lever and even can hold straddle front lever for 2-3 seconds, so how do I implement them things? I enjoyed doing them, am I supposed to stop doing them because let's say I lack basics in planche training?

Thx

Joshua Slocum

In the long run, the work you put into mastering the basics now will be of far greater benefit than anything else you could be doing. So when structuring your workout, put Foundation work first. After you've finished that, feel free to spend some time working on whatever you feel like. Make sure to keep the volume of your additional work low enough that it doesn't interfere with your Foundation progress. 

colin

Hi

I understand , but even in foundation 1 and 2 instructions say to test yourself and move to appropriate difficulty. So wouldn't it make sense to implement my stronger areas in a proper progression? That's why I asked when the fundation 3 and 4 is coming out, I could probably move on to some progressions there instead just doing things on top of something that I can do.

Thx

gohei_
colin said:

Hi

I understand , but even in foundation 1 and 2 instructions say to test yourself and move to appropriate difficulty. So wouldn't it make sense to implement my stronger areas in a proper progression? That's why I asked when the fundation 3 and 4 is coming out, I could probably move on to some progressions there instead just doing things on top of something that I can do.

Thx

You have to remember that mobility and strength goes hand in hand. 

This is just me guessing here but if you were to do extra work on top of Foundation you will cut in on your recovery for the F exercises, as well as making the strength/mobility gap even greater. So by only doing FOundation you will get back to you current level much faster.

This is just my thoughts though.

colin

Hi

What I meant is, for example I did test myself on rope climbing in first two foundations and I can say with the full confidence that I mastered all levels there, so instead practicing something that is not challenging for me, I would like to test myself and work with farther phases of rope climbing which I guess are coming out in foundation 3 and 4. Hence the question when are foundation 3 and 4 going to be out? , and if there is no plans for them in the near future, what are farther progressions? I guess I can progress farther with rope climbing while practicing, for example planche from foundation 1.

Thx.

PrimalMove
gohei_ said:

You have to remember that mobility and strength goes hand in hand. 

This is just me guessing here but if you were to do extra work on top of Foundation you will cut in on your recovery for the F exercises, as well as making the strength/mobility gap even greater. So by only doing FOundation you will get back to you current level much faster.

This is just my thoughts though.

One thing I've experienced, and noticed with others in the forum it isn't really the lack of strength, but its the lack of mobility that holds them back. For example, when I first started training from coach's first book, I was getting into tuck planche, extended tuck back lever, straddle front lever, and such. My mistake was dropping the barbell and jumping right into training the holds and getting injured due to lack of prep work.

gohei_
colin said:

Hi

What I meant is, for example I did test myself on rope climbing in first two foundations and I can say with the full confidence that I mastered all levels there, so instead practicing something that is not challenging for me, I would like to test myself and work with farther phases of rope climbing which I guess are coming out in foundation 3 and 4. Hence the question when are foundation 3 and 4 going to be out? , and if there is no plans for them in the near future, what are farther progressions? I guess I can progress farther with rope climbing while practicing, for example planche from foundation 1.

Thx.

Ah I see. I took as if for example you were still on the early RC progression because of your lack of mobility but the strength part of that PE was to easy for you.

colin
gohei_ said:

Ah I see. I took as if for example you were still on the early RC progression because of your lack of mobility but the strength part of that PE was to easy for you.

Yes, exactly, mobility is not a problem here. I am not hot headed and I do take advise and stick to any phase until I master it, but with rope climbing and planche I can definitely move beyond foundation 1 and 2. Everyone seems to avoid the main question I keep asking. Where the next 2 foundations are expected?

Thx

colin

I meant front lever not planche.

Coach Sommer

Do not move on to the next progression unless you can demonstrate mastery for BOTH the exercise AND it's assigned iM at the same time.

- this means that those who are already mobile but possess strength deficits will need to get stronger before moving on.

- this also means that those who are already strong but possess mobility deficits will need to improve mobility before moving up.

Bottom line; there is no moving up without having mastered both.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

wheezer

colin: I read here yesterday that Foundation 3 will be out in the next 5-6 weeks. Could just be a tumor though.

colin

Sorry, I think it is my english. Yes I am confident about my mastery for rope climb and front lever in foundation 1and 2, strength wise and mobility these are not challenging for me any more unless I add some weight to these exercises, simply in this sections I could move to the next progressions for front lever and rope climb while patching my holes in planche and the rest. But instead of guessing what would be the next step, I would like to implement foundation 3 routines for the skills I mastered instead of making up my own routines.

Thx.

Christian
wheezer said:

Could just be a tumor though.

You might wanna check that out.

wheezer
Christian said:

Could just be a tumor though.

You might wanna check that out.

 

No more arch body holds - doctor's orders. <_<