This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Failing?

Started by Somalie, October 30, 2013 · 5 Replies · 254 Views

Somalie

Ok guys so I decided to sit and keep watch over my baby nephew while he was in the NICU. Subsequently I didn't eat much at all and my supplement timing was off. I worked out much later than usual as well. With all that I failed at ABH in the 4th set at around 28sec mark, my arms could no longer remain up and just fell. So I simply held them back and did my next set the same way. Everything else I was dragging through and not at my usual fast set endurance pace.

Tomorrow's Another Day and I hope that with proper nutrition and timing I won't feel like someone is trying to deprive me of oxygen.

wheezer

Hi Somalie. Many people hear say that progress is not a straight, linear line and I can relate! There have been times I have totally owned the ABH, then I come back to it next session and can barely do three quarters of what I did. Capacity goes up and down and there are so many factors that lead to that. The important thing is doing more or having an easier time with it in the longterm, regardless of the ups and downs along the way.

Destiny

Right now I'm failing on almost every PE unless its mobility thats holding me back.

 

Failing FL/PE1 for example is probably not as taxing as failing a 1RM deadlift, but it still kind of annoys me since training to failure is something that's never really given me results. I try to avoid it at all costs, almost like an irrational fear. I find it difficult with F1 however since most exercises are testing of your endurance. I might feel like stopping after 30 reps/30 seconds but I may be able to push quite a bit longer, or I might not, or the first set is easy but I'll fail badly on the later ones. Much harder to guage when to stop vs say a 3 rep max bench where you (I at least) could tell whether or not I could get the 3rd rep and knew when to stop.

 

Right now with FL and SL especially I can a certain week with relative ease but the next week I fail at. Been stuck on the same one for a little while now. Probably go back a few weeks like resetting in weightlifting when you plateau.

wheezer

Yeah I'm also doing endurance to failure for most of my F7s. I always start these sessions by telling myself, "Okay. At some point in the future I will master this. To reach mastery, I need to log a certain number of reps/secs beyond the point of feeling like stopping." Then I step back mentally and observe how much my body can do with proper form, appreciating each rep/sec beyond that point of comfort. Mastery will come when ready.

Joshua Slocum
DESTINY said:

Right now I'm failing on almost every PE unless its mobility thats holding me back.

 

Failing FL/PE1 for example is probably not as taxing as failing a 1RM deadlift, but it still kind of annoys me since training to failure is something that's never really given me results. I try to avoid it at all costs, almost like an irrational fear. I find it difficult with F1 however since most exercises are testing of your endurance. I might feel like stopping after 30 reps/30 seconds but I may be able to push quite a bit longer, or I might not, or the first set is easy but I'll fail badly on the later ones. Much harder to guage when to stop vs say a 3 rep max bench where you (I at least) could tell whether or not I could get the 3rd rep and knew when to stop.

 

Right now with FL and SL especially I can a certain week with relative ease but the next week I fail at. Been stuck on the same one for a little while now. Probably go back a few weeks like resetting in weightlifting when you plateau.

If you're consistently failing, you should step back a microcycle. 

 

If you consistently have trouble with the same microcycle, try doing a microcycle that's in between that one and the previous one. 

Somalie

Sorry for the late reply's guy... I'm going into my week 8 Deload phase and will be starting back at week 5 after that. I'm going to focus more on my mobility during off days and hopefully move things along nicely.