This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need help with a couple of mastery

Started by Michael17, October 29, 2013 · 10 Replies · 275 Views

Michael17

Hey you guys I need help with the mastery of rope climb for chin up hold for 5x60s RC/PE6. I am getting to 48 second for 4 sets but then when I try to do 5x48 and then go onto mastery I just can't a shake drastically while I am holding it.

 

Another master I am having trouble with is hollow back press HBP/PE11 5x5 of Russian dips. I am extremely strong with my press I can power through like 2 or 3 of them but then 4th is just terrible, I get stuck at the bottom and I can't exploded up and i use a lot of kip. I can post a video of me doing them if you guys want but I thought your suppose to explode with your legs a little bit to but I do not know entirely so if you guys can help it will be much appreciated. Please help you guys.

Riku Calderón

Hi there! How Long have you been stuck with them.

 

That HBP/PE11 is F2 stuff and should not be in this part of the forum.

Joshua Slocum
Michael17 said:

Hey you guys I need help with the mastery of rope climb for chin up hold for 5x60s RC/PE6. I am getting to 48 second for 4 sets but then when I try to do 5x48 and then go onto mastery I just can't a shake drastically while I am holding it.

 

Another master I am having trouble with is hollow back press HBP/PE11 5x5 of Russian dips. I am extremely strong with my press I can power through like 2 or 3 of them but then 4th is just terrible, I get stuck at the bottom and I can't exploded up and i use a lot of kip. I can post a video of me doing them if you guys want but I thought your suppose to explode with your legs a little bit to but I do not know entirely so if you guys can help it will be much appreciated. Please help you guys.

After 4x48 comes 4x60, not 5x48. I've made that mistake before and find it actually makes quite a difference.

 

Questions about HBP/PE11 should go in the F2 forum.

Ravn

Yes, RC6 is pretty evil. Do you fail and drop from the hang, or can you hold it but with shaking?

Bipocni
Michael17 said:

Hey you guys I need help with the mastery of rope climb for chin up hold for 5x60s RC/PE6. I am getting to 48 second for 4 sets but then when I try to do 5x48 and then go onto mastery I just can't a shake drastically while I am holding it.

Shaking is not the same as sucking.

 

Not very helpful, I know, but I really like that line and  I felt like posting it.

Michael17

I have been on RC/PE6 for about 2 mouths I have gotten stronger I know this but I feel maybe I need more rest or need to restart the whole mastery workouts. any thoughts on restarting the workouts on 3x12s?

Joshua Slocum

I wouldn't restart. If you're plateauing, I would drop down one micro-cycle, and perhaps try doing a half-way microcycle before the one that gives you trouble. 

Michael17

what do you mean by a microcycle? do you mean a cycle of 4 or a whole row? Because i have restart several times.

Riku Calderón

In the 12 weeks there are 3 microcycles that are 4 weeks long

Keegan Y

Another possibility is to think about the 60 second templates as six 10 second templates, four 15 second templates (which technically aren't included in the course but can easily be formulated based on the 15 rep mastery template), or two 30 second templates.

So, if you were stuck at 4x48 and felt jumping to 4x60 was too big, you could try going:

4x42->4x48->5x48->5x24 (Deload)->4x54->4x60->5x60->5x30 (Deload)

Or

4x42->4x45->5x45->5x23 (Deload)->3x48->5x48->3x51->3x26 (Deload)->4x51->4x54->5x54->5x27 (Deload)->4x57->4x60->5x60->5x30 (Deload)

Or even

4x48->4x50->5x50->5x25 (Deload)->3x52->5x52->3x54->3x27 (Deload)->4x54->4x56->5x56->5x28 (Deload)->4x58->4x60->5x60->5x30 (Deload)

Essentially just treating each 30, 15, or 10 second block of the 60 second hold time as it's own mastery element.

Most of the time I would say to just stick to the recommended template for each exercise and have faith and patience that your body will make the necessary adaptations when it's ready (and check your nutritional and rest habits as those may be lacking and holding you back), and that going to such lengths as described above is overkill and may even delay progression (since the body's adaptation process can't necessarily be perfectly anticipated, nor does it always follow a nice clean,steady rate of progress, no matter how we might like it to), but if you've been stuck at 4x48 for 6 months, then I don 't see the harm in perhaps trying a slightly less intense increase in volume/rate of progression model.

Hope this helps, good luck

Ravn

My approach was to just maximise hang time until I passed for instance 4x60.

At first I didn't have the endurance to do 4x60, so the sets would look something like this: 60, 55, 45, 30. Essentially, the three last sets were to failure. So I just kept a log and noted the hang time for each workout, and then made sure, that the total hang time would increase every workout. Sometimes by 12 seconds, sometimes just a single second, but it all added up, and eventually I could move on to 5x60, and so forth.

I also added time to the first set, so that it would last 70 seconds. I figured that this would make the mastery test easier, when going back down to sixty seconds.