Any Aussies want some Kefir grains soon?

Started by Joel Tomkins, October 28, 2013 · 12 Replies · 3,306 Views

Joel Tomkins

Hey all,

I bought some Kefir grains about 3 weeks ago from Ebay. Two teaspoons apparently. Now I've got 4 tablespoons and the Kefir is starting to pile up in the fridge. I'd love to share some grains with anyone interested before I find something else to do with the excess I'm going to have shortly.

Not sure I could ship internationally due to customs but if anyone in Australia wants some let me know!

Also I believe Joshua Naterman is drinking quite a lot of the the stuff - is anyone else? Is it possible to have too much? Surely if it is as potent a probiotic as everyone says then it wouldn't be hard to overdo?

Cheers!

TANSTAAFL

Chris Kresser is pretty much the dude to check out for kefir. I usually have about a cup a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm not sure you can overdo it as far as the probiotics as I would think they would strike a balance and not just keep piling up indefinitely...but I'm just thinking out loud and could be totally wrong. I also don't feel like looking it up until I'm having 6 cups a day B-) .

Patrick Smith

Joel, I've been growing and drinking water kefir for quite a few months and it is awesome. At my peak, I was drinking about 3-4 quarts a day. I think it's hard to have too much water kefir unless you're making a ridiculous amount of it. 

 

If it's milk kefir, then you could be getting way more calories than you need by accident so yeah, you could have too much, but it wouldn't hurt you.

 

In my experience, if you drink too much of it too early in the morning you might get a horrible stomach ache, but that is the extent of it.

spinelli

I've been drinking about 250ml per day, haven't noticed anything that I can directly attribute to drinking it but I find it's a good way of getting some extra calories. Would be interesting to know if there are any studies done and what they show. I've had a quick look but everything appears to be pretty informal in terms of people saying it's great, hate to say it but a lot of what I found were "hippies" saying: It's good for you because it's natural and therefore its clearly good for you.

 

Joel Tomkins

3-4 quartz!! Wow. As long as you work up to that amount it's probably ok. If you just started at that amount I've read there may be a bit of an adjustment period where you may find yourself somewhat "irregular". I've slowly worked up to 1-2 cups a day and yeah can't say much has changed.

 

I'd love to know the makeup of my grains. Unfortunately being a backyard science there could be anything growing in there and I wouldn't know. Of course that's part of the fun of it I guess!

wheezer

Why do people drink it? Is it because of probiotic content?

Joel Tomkins
wheezer said:

Why do people drink it? Is it because of probiotic content?

Basically... a lot end up loving the taste of it though! 

pogo69
Joel Tomkins said:

I'd love to share some grains with anyone interested before I find something else to do with the excess I'm going to have shortly.

Cheers!

Yes please, Joel!

 

I've been wanting to try it for a while now, but it's thus far remained yet another thing on my ever-expanding TODO list

wheezer

Hi Joel. Does the offer still stand? I'd love to get a starter batch.

Bipocni

I think you can drink up to a litre without any real trouble.

 

Unfortunately, I can't grow any here (UK) because it's too cold and the grains don't culture...

Joel Tomkins
wheezer said:

Hi Joel. Does the offer still stand? I'd love to get a starter batch.

Yeah got some grains in the fridge that I was getting close to having to chuck in a smoothie or something. Will send them tomorrow hopefully if you PM your address.

Joel Tomkins
pogo69 said:

Yes please, Joel!

 

I've been wanting to try it for a while now, but it's thus far remained yet another thing on my ever-expanding TODO list

How are yours going Pogo?

wheezer
Joel Tomkins said:

Yeah... will send them

 

Woo! Just PM'ed my postal. Thanks dude!