This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Introducing myself (F1&H1 Program)

Started by Jonathan Mok, October 27, 2013 · 4 Replies · 185 Views

Jonathan Mok

Hello everyone at Gymnastic Bodies!

 

I have just started on the Foundation One and Handstand One program.  Looking forward to improving myself and learning from everyone in this forums.

 

A bit on myself.  I am at a grand age of thirty eight years old, with a scattered history of weight lifting, Crossfit, traditional martial arts and MMA.  At this age, it is unavoidable that one has numerous injuries here and there.  However, I was getting sick of the cycle of training, making gains, getting injured, losing gains...  And as I get older, I lose more fitness...    The last straw came from a repeat of a back injury.  This time, I was out for 10 months.  For the first few months, I had perpetual numbness at the soles of my feet.  Which really freaked me out.

 

I have really decided to rethink my idea of what is fitness and how it applies to me at this age.  Coach Sommer has a really good program in Foundation One.  Already I am having trouble with deck squats and the accompanying skiers.  Keeping my fingers crossed and hope this program will keep me healthy for many years to come :)

Bipocni
Jonathan Mok said:

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope this program will keep me healthy for many years to come :)

As long as you don't do anything stupid, yeah, it will definitely keep you healthy.  Your old crossfit WODs should get easier after a while too.

Jonathan Mok

I just did my first official workout on Foundation One. The prior one was just an introduction to the movements.  My comments as an adult practitioner in his late 30s.

 

Most of the strength components is easy... but the mobility movements are HARD!!! almost impossible for some of the movements like swivel hips and skiers.  Couch Sommer is absolutely right when he said we would find the mobility section a challenge.

 

It almost seems to me that there should be some pre- level one mobility drills for us old folks.  Especially in the hips.

 

My own personal experience with the hip drills is that the external rotation is easy but the internal rotation is almost improssible.  For swivel hips, if I must keep the glutes to the floor, my leg that is rotating inwards barely move... only a couple of degrees.

 

I have tried using the other leg to assist the movement, it has helped but there is deep deep stretching going on within the hip and glute area.  I must say its a very good movement and my chronically weak back seems to thank me for it.  I can see major improvements coming soon for my skiers if this continues. 

 

Have isolated the problem, tight hips and non-existent internal hip rotation.  I like this program, thanks for introducing this to the world.

:)

Craig

Hi Jonathan,

 

If you want some specific mobility work to add to what you're already doing, check out Kit Laughlins work @ www.kitlaughlin.com.  I would recommend picking up one or all of his books and working your way through the material.

 

And don't worry, the strength work becomes very challenging very quickly

 

:D

Craig

PrimalMove
Jonathan Mok said:

I just did my first official workout on Foundation One. The prior one was just an introduction to the movements.  My comments as an adult practitioner in his late 30s.

 

Most of the strength components is easy... but the mobility movements are HARD!!! almost impossible for some of the movements like swivel hips and skiers.  Couch Sommers is absolutely right when he said we would find the mobility section a challenge.

 

It almost seems to me that there should be some pre- level one mobility drills for us old folks.  Especially in the hips.

 

My own personal experience with the hip drills is that the external rotation is easy but the internal rotation is almost improssible.  For swivel hips, if I must keep the glutes to the floor, my leg that is rotating inwards barely move... only a couple of degrees.

 

I have tried using the other leg to assist the movement, it has helped but there is deep deep stretching going on within the hip and glute area.  I must say its a very good movement and my chronically weak back seems to thank me for it.  I can see major improvements coming soon for my skiers if this continues. 

 

Have isolated the problem, tight hips and non-existent internal hip rotation.  I like this program, thanks for introducing this to the world.

:)

As someone in his mid 20's I practiced mobility a lot since since my old personal trainer harped on it a lot (since he was also a physical therapist), but the for me its the higher reps skills that I find hard. I've always used a minimalist approach to training using heavy weight for low reps/high sets. I'm enjoying the new challenge. =)