Hey folks!
This is not a question, but an article regarding the method i used to overcome my elbow pain/minor elbow injury. (You are warmly welcome to ask questions or comment)
How did the elbow pain start?
Too much straight arm training (planches, iron cross, etc) and too much one arm chin up training. I trained straight arm training 5 times a week without any preparation or rehab at all.
​What did i do to overcome the pain?
I cannot tell if this method will work on YOU since we're all very different, but it certainly worked for me! I don't feel any pain or soreness in my elbows anymore. It's all gone.
Of course, the most effective way, is always preparation! As Coach Sommer says: preparation, preparation, preparation! It's the most efficient way to avoid injuries - especially when we're talking about straight arm elements!
The most efficient way to overcome my elbow pain, is by doing trigger point therapy. This therapy method is GOLD. If you don't know anything about it - google it and buy the trigger point therapy workbook right away!
On the picture below you see my little lacrosse ball i use to massage my joints and elbow. (some use a foam roller or do foam rolling - i did not benefit from it). Many of your probably know trigger point therapy already!
I usually push the ball against a wall (or lay on the floor) and i press my elbow against the ball. Then i roll the ball up and down (with a huge pressure on the targeted spot). It's supposed to hurt very much. I usually massage my triceps(the hole horseshoe), biceps, forearm and the front of my elbow and the back of it. (look at the pictures below). I haven't demonstrated all the spots on the pictures below, but it should give you an idea of what i mean! ![]()
It definitely most efficient to use something with a tough mass - like a lacrosse ball or golf ball. A tennis ball works, but it's not as efficient at all. The first period of trigger point therapy is painful and i personally felt i had bruises ![]()
How often can you do this?
I personally do this 2-3 minutes x3 times a day. AND i do it 10 minutes after all my training sessions.
Stretching exercises for my elbow:
Beside trigger point therapy i do some stretches and i HANG a lot! Hanging is crucial for stretching the elbow and shoulder health. I usually do 2x sets of 30 seconds normal hang and 2x sets of 30 seconds eagle hang(reverse grip hang) after my training sessions. I also do the classic bicep stretch 2x30 seconds, which i find fantastic for stretching the elbow. (this is the classic stretch i talk about)
How could a short elbow rehab program look like?
I usually do trigger point therapy for my elbow 2-3 minutes THREE times a day. Morning - midday and afternoon. After each session i use my own little rehab program:
2x30 sec normal hang
2x30 sec eagle hang
2x15 seconds one arm hang and one arm eagle hang.
10-15 minutes of trigger point therapy only for the elbow.
2x30 seconds bicep stretch.
And i always do wrist rehab together with my elbow routine.
Another very important factor is warm up. Warming up with elastic bands is very efficient (i don't want to dig into that now, you can google thousands of warm ups or look up many forums on this site as well)
I do not want to go into any strength elements or other movements regarding elbow health, i know them very well and you can find many articles on this forum. I hope you'll enjoy
!
Ask if there's any questions. Thank you!
Oliver