This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fingertip walk / pushup - tips or pads?

Started by seanyogalegs, October 24, 2013 · 10 Replies · 313 Views

seanyogalegs

Hi everyone,

I just started using this site a few days ago, and i'm really excited about the potential progress. 

 

Here's my question: I have fairly long fingers and my middle finger sticks out about a cm more than the two beside it. I'm wondering about where exactly the weight is placed when doing the fingertip walks and pushups?

 

Is it on the very "tip" of the finger, because if so, then I'm basically doing a two finger pushup (with only the two middle fingers.) This seems extreme. On the other hand, if I use a little more of the "fingerprint" area, then it seems more possible. Also, does using a padded surface help, such as a carpet or padded wall/floor.

 

I notice in the videos, it seems that the model is angling the wrists so that the middle and index fingers seem to take most of the weight. Also, in the pushup version, it seems that there is a slight angle to the arms (shoulders behind wrists). Are these correct alignment cues?

 

My apologies for the multi-layered nature of this question. If anyone has any insight on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

ausswe

I wouldn't think to much on it just push until your fingers are as straight as they can be without causing you pain or injury and as for angle I'm pretty sure it's just meant to be hands bellow shoulders in the push up position so when you raise onto your finger tips/pads then your fingers would be slightly in front of your shoulders. When I do it my middle finger is on the pad and e fingers either side are on the tips but the fingers and hand is straight which I believe is the main point.

Keilani Gutierrez

balance with pads on the ground, not tips. that's just too gnarly :P

Joshua Slocum

Pads on the ground, as demonstrated in the photos and videos. 

Bipocni

I've been going up onto the tips of my index and middle fingers.  This generally means my fingers bend at the end joint, and cave slightly into hyperextension at the middle joint.  Still, it seems to be working well for me so I'm going to still with it.

Joshua Slocum
Bipocni said:

I've been going up onto the tips of my index and middle fingers.  This generally means my fingers bend at the end joint, and cave slightly into hyperextension at the middle joint.  Still, it seems to be working well for me so I'm going to still with it.

I would consider it to be 'on the pad' if your 3rd knuckles are hyperextending. Can you post a picture?

Bipocni
Joshua Slocum said:

I would consider it to be 'on the pad' if your 3rd knuckles are hyperextending. Can you post a picture?

I'm hyperextending at the middle joint.  If you can bend your fingers only at the third knuckle, you'll know what I'm talking about.  In fact, I"M doing it this way to deliberately avoid hyperextending at the 3rd knuckle.

seanyogalegs

thanks for all the input. I'll keep working, and I'm sure it will sort itself out. cheers  :)

Bipocni
seanyogalegs said:

Also, does using a padded surface help, such as a carpet or padded wall/floor.

Just noticed no-one answered this.  Yeah, you should use a folded over towel or some such.  It helps you press with all your fingers instead of just the first two.  Also, if you're not using a padded surface for any of the pushups where you go onto your knuckles, you can injure yourself.
VegVeg
Bipocni said:

 

Just noticed no-one answered this.  Yeah, you should use a folded over towel or some such.  It helps you press with all your fingers instead of just the first two.  Also, if you're not using a padded surface for any of the pushups where you go onto your knuckles, you can injure yourself.

 

Hey hey there what?

 

So a padded surface is a must for these exercises??? :o

It seems like I am lacking many 'accessories' for h1 :(

Keilani Gutierrez

not like that, bro. just use a towel or the mat you are using to exercise