This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Arch rocks done....6 months later

Started by Mark Collins, October 23, 2013 · 25 Replies · 970 Views

Mark Collins

I finally got Arch rocks after 6 months of hard work. I remember when 3x12 nearly killed me. I use to hate them, but strange as it sounds I don't anymore. At times I thought it would take a life time to master these. I don't ever want to lose them so I thought I would do 1x60 at the end of my SL workout.

I would be interested to hear from those that have mastered the arch rocks and what they do to keep them.

FredInChina

Well done Mark, that sounds like a milestone! :)

Joakim Anderson

Nice!

Alessandro Mainente

i'm actually at 5x60r (after 4 months and 1 week), the sets are composed 60,60,60,60,48. so probably today i'll complete it.

I think i'll maintain the same approach that i'm using to not lose the FL elements.

In the beginning perform a giant set of the mastery with no rest as a warm up

Fro example i did

30r sHBR + 30s hbh + 30hbr.

then on the following week i added 10 reps/seconds.

now i am at 50r shbr + 50s hbh + 50r hbr

i'll move next week over 60-60-60. weel you will perform the mastery with no rest. do you think that test yourself will be hard now? B-) B-) B-)

for SL i'm using for the warm up 50'' abh, rest 10'' then 50r abr.

it's hard since the mobility was taking more then 10'', sometime 20 sometime 25 to be performed well.

i also noticed that the abr is very solid preparation for the following elements, i've tried the PE3 for SL and i got and the first time 4x12.

Christian

I recently got it myself, I do now 60 sec ABH, 20 sec rest, 60 rep ABR, 20 sec rest PE3 progression (week 9)

Guest

I completed ABH first time I tried (yes, arms/legs locked, legs off the floor, etc) and moved onto ABR the next day. It took awhile to get used to the movement, in the sense of starting the rock and having to go up onto my chest then onto my quads.

 

I started at week 5, then after I got it down, tried mastery and got it.

 

I don't really maintain it, because I'm pretty sure I can still do it with some willpower, but I would just add one or two sets as WU.

Bipocni

Wow congratulations.  I'm still stuck on arch body holds, I can't even imagine what it would be like to master arch body rocks.  Well done.

m6shifter

into my 5th month on this. Its a great exercise I could be on this a whole year. So far at about the 30th rep its fatigue big time. Weeks 5 -8 is where I am at here. Along with the body rocks also. Except muscle fatgue comes quicker with this 1. Crazy thing is all the exercises are good for warmups but which ones do you pick. Anyone GTG on this.  Good luck moving on Mark C.

dritar

Congrats. I'm betting SL will be a smooth ride now :).

ausswe

Sl is a very annoying one as I have completed mastery up to pe-9 when I was seeing what I could do but I still can't do the abh or abr. guess ill be stuck here for some months still!!

Mats Trane

I keep the ABR and Straddle ups in my WU on my SL/MN days and HBR on my FL days.

m6shifter

Mats do you do all 60 reps for a couple of sets and IM also. Or do you half the reps.

pghgymnastics

Congrats Mark! I'm nowhere near that point. I'm still on abh, trying to workout mobility issues. I was looking at SL PE3 and it may just be me underestimating things, but it looks like they would be easier than SL PE2&3.

Jon Douglas
m6shifter said:

into my 5th month on this. Its a great exercise I could be on this a whole year. So far at about the 30th rep its fatigue big time. Weeks 5 -8 is where I am at here. Along with the body rocks also. Except muscle fatgue comes quicker with this 1. Crazy thing is all the exercises are good for warmups but which ones do you pick. Anyone GTG on this. Good luck moving on Mark C.

1*60 warmup set was great for me. The reps are too high for g2g to be effective, sadly, as Im fond of this approach

Mark Collins
Bipocni said:

Wow congratulations.  I'm still stuck on arch body holds, I can't even imagine what it would be like to master arch body rocks.  Well done.

I was exactly the same. Working on mobility has really made these easier. As I got less stiff I didn't need to fight as hard against my body.

Mark Collins
Jon Douglas said:

1*60 warmup set was great for me. The reps are too high for g2g to be effective, sadly, as Im fond of this approach

Are you doing these as the warm up or after the SL exercise? I was thinking I might do some to warm up then do 1x60 after the SL exercise I am working on. That way I will be fresh to master the SL exercise I am working on.

Mark Collins
pghgymnastics said:

Congrats Mark! I'm nowhere near that point. I'm still on abh, trying to workout mobility issues. I was looking at SL PE3 and it may just be me underestimating things, but it looks like they would be easier than SL PE2&3.

I did some the other day and I found them easier. I felt more glutes and hamstrings with PE3, whereas the ABR really taxed my lumbar erector spine. So It is going to strengthen other parts of my posterior chain that need work.

Jon Douglas
Mark Collins said:

Are you doing these as the warm up or after the SL exercise? I was thinking I might do some to warm up then do 1x60 after the SL exercise I am working on. That way I will be fresh to master the SL exercise I am working on.

As warmup, because I don't feel arch body holds or rocks in my lower back at all

ausswe

I always feel abh in my hamstrings..... I guess they are weak

Riku Calderón

Thanks everyone!

After reading this i realised why you are not doing F7 when you get past the bekinning :D

Mark Collins
Jon Douglas said:

As warmup, because I don't feel arch body holds or rocks in my lower back at all

I did the 1x60 ABR beforehand arch up and they were surprising enjoyable. When it is only one set their is a different mindset.

I did 4x6 arch ups past horizontal and was surprised today when I woke up with some DOMS in my back. I also found by the end of the elbow bounces I was getting tired. I am quite weak with rotation strength. Doing the elbow bounces with the ribs down made the difference.

Coach has this nasty habit of exposing my weaknesses. Brilliant programming keeps getting better.

Keilani Gutierrez

nice!

Jon Douglas
Mark Collins said:

I did the 1x60 ABR beforehand arch up and they were surprising enjoyable. When it is only one set their is a different mindset.

I did 4x6 arch ups past horizontal and was surprised today when I woke up with some DOMS in my back. I also found by the end of the elbow bounces I was getting tired. I am quite weak with rotation strength. Doing the elbow bounces with the ribs down made the difference.

Coach has this nasty habit of exposing my weaknesses. Brilliant programming keeps getting better.

Bumping up the average a little at a time until you are something seriously special ;)

Mark Collins
Jon Douglas said:

Bumping up the average a little at a time until you are something seriously special ;)

So 1x300 to warm up. Now that would just be showing off!

Richard Hamilton

Nice one Mark, good effort. I'm still working weeks 1-4 on ABH but I'm noticing improvements all the time in the way the muscles in my back activate now. It's starting to carry over to HS/PE1>iM as well. I'm actually enjoying ABH! :)