This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Do you suck belly when doing Bent HBH ?

Started by MrPuppeh, October 23, 2013 · 15 Replies · 440 Views

MrPuppeh

I found out that my abs are kinda sticking out when im doing Bent Hollow body hold and I tried to pull my abs and ribs in and got a tight feeling ( it gets kinda hard to breathe ) .

 

Is this the proper way to do this exercise ?

 

I was one week away from mastery until I realized that I may be doing this wrong. :(

FredInChina

Only when there are girls around! :D

Adriano Augusto

Yes. All that it helps to maintain lumbar spine onto the floor is OK. The breathing thing is easy: just breath by your sides (ribs). 3Dimensional breathing. Pilates tip :D 

Shaolintobbe

I have a problem with Hollow body holds/rocks, I tense my whole body, and because of that my butt makes it hard to keep my back on the floor, even though I am hollow. If I relax my butt its no problem. Should i tense my butt?

ausswe

Hahah I posted about the same kind of problem shaolin. It is possible to do the hbh without tensing your butt though it was hard for me to figure out at first.

Alessandro Mainente

To avoid belly off use a simple exercise 2-3 times before sleep

-standing in front of a table

-make two steps back

-put the hands on the table

-expand your back and lungs opening the lats with chest in

-breath out all the air until abs are fully squeezed

-then force your belly in without breath in

-hold at least for 20 second

 

this will activate the muscles that press the belly on the lumbar spine, it will help in moderate measure will hollow body progression. 

MrPuppeh
alex87 said:

To avoid belly use a simple exercise 2-3 times before sleep

-standing in front of a table

-make to steps back

-put the hands on the table

-expand your back opening the lats

-breath out all the air until abs are fully squeezed

-then force your belly in without breath in

-hold at least for 20 second

 

this will activate the muscles that press the belly on the lumbar spine, it will help in moderate measure will hollow body progression. 

Thank you !

Gona try this :)

Destiny
alex87 said:

To avoid belly use a simple exercise 2-3 times before sleep

-standing in front of a table

-make to steps back

-put the hands on the table

-expand your back opening the lats

-breath out all the air until abs are fully squeezed

-then force your belly in without breath in

-hold at least for 20 second

 

this will activate the muscles that press the belly on the lumbar spine, it will help in moderate measure will hollow body progression. 

interesting ill give this a shot, having trouble with my endurance on bhbr

MattProulx

There is a HUGE difference between sucking in your belly and shortening the distance between your sternum and your hips. A very important but oft neglected topic.

MrPuppeh
MattProulx said:

There is a HUGE difference between sucking in your belly and shortening the distance between your sternum and your hips. A very important but oft neglected topic.

tell us more.

 

I usually try to tense my core and sort of pull them all together. 

dritar

When I do these FL exercises I think more of tensing in order to push the ground with my back not exactly sucking in the belly.

Cole Dano

Sucking in the belly is not needed for hollow body. Though it's an interesting practice in its own right, in my experience it's not helpfull for hollow work. In fact it can appear that the belly slightly swells in tensing the core, this is not wrong IMO.

Riku Calderón

Hi all,

 

I did these yesterday at our gym and a former gymnastic girl came to me. She said that i do it all wrong. That my belly should not tense out but rather in.

 

So that is the case here?

 

And im sorry but i did not understand alex87s advise :( And Cole says it does not matter.

 

In the videos the athletes don´t have this problem obviously.

Riku Calderón

This is me. It´s hard to see in here but my belly is out i think :(

 

Cole Dano

Look at the bent hollow video. When the athlete is resting the belly is in, you will see it swells as he comes into the position.

In general, most former gymnasts I've talked to don't know much about training. Don't overthink this.