This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Planche form critique

Started by Arthur Costi, October 22, 2013 · 20 Replies · 1,858 Views

Arthur Costi

Hello guys, I can hold an advanced tuck planche for 30 secs and would like to know if the position below is good as a stepping stone for the straddle planche.

 

a.jpg

 

I can hold it for 8 seconds so I was thinking on implementing a SSC but I am wondering if this will help me to get the correct angle for a straddle planche because for me to hold a straddle I have to lean forward a lot more, the second photo show an attempt, I cannot hold more than 1 second there.

 

c.jpg

 

I am following the Foundation Series since the beginning of the year but previously I already trained bodyweight exercises.

 

Im 6'1 and weight 176, just for the record.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Also in the first photo you have lost he major part of protraction. this is a sign that you are not ready, for  now, to approach straddle planche variation. post a video of your 30 sec adv tuck planche for accurate evaluation.

Daniel Burnham

If you can post a video of your advanced tuck planche for 30 seconds.  That will be the best way to determine where you are at.

 

Edit:

 

Alex beat me to it.

Arthur Costi

And I thought my protraction was fine, damn this is hard work.

 

I will make that video of my ATP as you guys requested.

 

Thanks for the quick advice!

Arthur Costi

Here is the video as you requested, please give me a hand on where I should be focusing my efforts.

 

 

Maybe a combined training of ATP and planche leans would be more benefitial than a SSC on straddle planche?

 

Keep in mind that I am following the foundation series 5 times per week, but my primary goal is to achieve a solid straddle so I am putting some extra hours of training on it every week.

Adriano Augusto

Hi Arthur,

 

My take is that you keep depressing your scapula even at that stage, you keep "sunk on it" at each second. You start fine, and slowly you just "plof". It's normal.

 

So, my advice is that if you're already do Foundation series, keep ot it and planche will come slowly, focus your efforts there and extra time spent on mobility/stretching. Seems like if you want the straddle before doing all the previous steps. And seems like you have a great base there, so polish it!

 

I was doing planche training before F1 too, but I'd to drop my ego a little bit and just do all that BASIC AND SIMPLE training, just to realise I was not even prepare to simple things like Planche Leans.

 

Cheers Arthur ;)

Cody

Some things I can see wrong with your adv tuck planche are...

1. Your adv. tuck planche isn't "advanced" enough. Meaning, your legs aren't out far enough. You're kinda like half way in between a tuck and adv. tuck. Thighs should be perpendicular to the floor. 

2. Your hips drop below your shoulders 12 seconds through the hold. 


Perhaps if you retrained adv tuck planche with the correct leg position, and build up to a decent time, the jump to straddle wouldn't be as difficult?

Daniel Burnham

I addition to the second point made by Cody you are loosing shoulder protraction about 20 sec in. At 37 and 58 in the video. This is key.

Try more protraction and a stronger lean with hips higher. This will benefit you more.

Arthur Costi

Nice advices guys!

 

I'll focus on the real advanced tuck planche as you said, with thighs perpedicular to the floor and decent time.

 

By the way how much time should I focus to consider the position mastered? 5x30sec like the tuck planche or less?

 

I shooted a video with the advices you gave me and please tell me if this is the correct form in which I should train the ATP.

 

 

Thank you very much! This forum is always a humbling experience and the level of discussion here is astonishing good. 

Guest

Looks good. You could get a little more parallel to the ground.

Cody
Arthur Costi said:

Nice advices guys!

 

I'll focus on the real advanced tuck planche as you said, with thighs perpedicular to the floor and decent time.

 

By the way how much time should I focus to consider the position mastered? 5x30sec like the tuck planche or less?

 

I shooted a video with the advices you gave me and please tell me if this is the correct form in which I should train the ATP.

 

 

Thank you very much! This forum is always a humbling experience and the level of discussion here is astonishing good. 

Definitely looks a lot better. The last thing I'd say to do is keep your calves perpendicular to your hamstrings. 

I think most people can usually go on to straddle after a solid 15 sec adv tuck hold. 

Arthur Costi

Thank you very much for the help!

 

I am going to add this drill (15 sec template for ATP) during my workout.

 

In a couple of months I get back with the results and more videos for your evaluation.

 

Thanks again, this is an invaluable help.

jl5555

Hey JJ!!  Good to see an old time GB'er back and posting.  Been a while!

Arthur Costi
jl5555 said:

Hey JJ!!  Good to see an old time GB'er back and posting.  Been a while!

Thanks man! I lost my old account named jutajata during this transition to the new forum. After 2 years a little idle I get back to training hard again! 

 

Arthur Costi

Hey guys, I kept training the adv. tuck planche on the video above until I reached 15 solid seconds without losing protaction and now I am focusing on the half straddle planche (sPL/SE7), I am on week 1 (3x2s) of my training cycle so I recorded some sets to check if my form is right:

 

Daniel Burnham

Isn't 30 seconds required before moving on?

Alessandro Mainente

yes it is, if not probably i've mastered it 3 months ago...

RyanC
alex87 said:

yes it is, if not probably i've mastered it 3 months ago...

Nah... 1/2 straddle planche is very close to the load placed on the body for a full stradle planche. The goal is 10 seconds. Its still 5 sets tho.

Daniel Burnham
RyanC said:

Nah... 1/2 straddle planche is very close to the load placed on the body for a full stradle planche. The goal is 10 seconds. Its still 5 sets tho.

We are talking about adv tuck.
Jukkaboy

As a 6,3 foot guy, this just gives me hopes of actually achieving this skill:D

RyanC

Sorry Dan... i read that wrong. Oops..... :blink:

 

 

 

Its funny tho what you so during training sessions vs what you can do during your playtime in the gym or wherever. I was showing some of my athletes where their conditioning was headed and i did a Front lever that felt really easy despite me not having finished F3! I also did a very strong feeling flag/side lever  that felt easy to hold. I've been doing those skills for some time now but after the mobility and extra conditioning they feel quite different.