This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is it possible for a guy like me to get to these positions?

Started by Bas, October 22, 2013 · 18 Replies · 517 Views

Bas

Hi

 

I just Finished PE1 in the foundation course 1 series. i am 1.77cm and my weight is about 79-80kg with a body fat 7%.  I have really big legs from barbell strenght training and mostly because i was a bike messenger.  I can do alle the single leg excersises in both F1 and F2 really easy, but everything else is against me!! :*(

 

So how are the chances that i am gonna make it through F1 and F2 course? With my lever being shit because of my relatively big legs..  And what are the chances to reach the mastery of all 7 Basic fundametal positions?  For my type? 

 

Best regards, "The Weak" :) 

Cole Dano

You can absolutely make through F1 and F2. There may be steps that require extra time, but that's normal for the majority of people.

Alessandro Mainente

don't worry about you legs, everything will come, you simply need more time.

just to make a good example based on my experience. i moved over the last element of F2 for planche progression, but when i switched a week template with a jump of 6 seconds, i wasn't able to complete just one set , so i moved into mini cycle using a jump of 3 seconds instead of 6. to complete the mini cycle i needed about 2 weeks, then i added 3 seconds and 2 more weeks. so instead of the normal progression of the 12 weeks, my current template is 5 weeks longer. with big probability every time i'll need to apply 6 seconds more i'll use mini cycle. in that way a template for a particular skill that is legs weight dependent will take 1 months and half (maybe two) to be completed. just to make it clear only after 4 years i can manage a decent straddle planche on pbars. i didn't use all the F1-F2 series protocol but probably at least the 60% of the exercises.

dasede

I just like to think that maybe I am a little bit stronger than someone with lighter legs who has mastered the same exercises even if it took me longer  :P

Alessandro Mainente

same weight and height BUT different weight distribution plays a big role!

Bas
alex87 said:

same weight and height BUT different weight distribution plays a big role!

Damn :*( i hope that i can get through. 

Actually i dont have any intention of being a gymnast, but i just wanted some advise of what to aim for, with my body composition. If at any chance i can get to learn the 7 Basic fundamental body position and also complete the HS series.  I dont have any intentions of doing more than that, i think its a good start :P 

Bas
Cole Dano said:

You can absolutely make through F1 and F2. There may be steps that require extra time, but that's normal for the majority of people.

 

When you say thats normal?? 

F1+F2 is about 14PE. With 3 month cycles to finish each, that is 42month = 3.5 year. And then i probably have to extend the time because of my proportions :/  I feel that is a really long time :(  ?? 

Mats Trane

Look on the positive side! F1 must be perfect for you, 6 of the 7 PE´s are mainly for uper body strenght. This will over time balance you out.

Mark Collins

I will trade you. I am 6"2 and 96kg. I have no doubt if you apply yourself you will get through. They are beginner exercises after all!

On the eseminar Coach stated that it should take 2 years to get through foundation 1-4 if you work hard.

Bas

Hmm 2years seems fast. I think i will fokus more on just GB for my strenght training and not work weights en the evenings.

But i probably still practise my normal barbells squats minimum once a week and blend in some of the SLS exercises.

I have not been doing and still not gonna do SLS exercises, that i feel is super easy. And i don't wanna gain any more mass on those legs! 

I will try the mini cycles if i get stuck.. I hope i can get through it all and that it will be faster than 3.5 years.. 
And yes maybe with time i will be strong enough to do these basic exercises, but the lever in big legs does still play a huge role in my opinion...

 

Thx- for the advice everybody.
 

Keilani Gutierrez

i think you can chill and do your leg conditioning accordingly, i have bigger legs now than when i started F1 and after a 15-20lb increase in weight, i can do body lever negatives, which is something i was not even remotely capable of doing before with less legs mass.

i could do one leg squats before Foundation, also

the fact that your legs will be a little heavier shouldnt stop anyone from actually being capable of performing levers, unless your core or your shoulders are a weak link, which are addressed in foundation anyway

Mark Collins

If you find the SLS easy why don't you try to gradually build volume. I am sure after one hundred SLS and glute ham raises you will know your legs have been worked. That way when F3 and F4 comes out you should find you progress well. You may as well have something you are great at because their is always something that you will struggle with.

wheezer
Bas said:

When you say thats normal?? 

F1+F2 is about 14PE. With 3 month cycles to finish each, that is 42month = 3.5 year. And then i probably have to extend the time because of my proportions :/  I feel that is a really long time :(  ?? 

 

You'll be able to do movements most weight-trainers don't realise are possible. The road is long because the destination is immensely advanced by overall fitness standards.

Cole Dano

At least for myself, as cliche as it sounds, I view this as a journey. I know there are end steps, but live in today, where I am, and find every step to be its own, enjoyable challenge.

Bipocni
Bas said:
I have not been doing and still not gonna do SLS exercises, that i feel is super easy. And i don't wanna gain any more mass on those legs! 

 

I wouldn't recommend this.  The SLS progressions are excellent for building strength in disadvantaged leverage positions, and the joint prep work is phenomenal.  If you really think they're super easy, try them out first.  I thought SLS/PE2 would be super easy, but integrating the mobility work and doing it all for high volume after a couple warmup sets of deck squats, makes it far more of a challenge than I was expecting.

 

If you can really test out all the SLS progressions, then by all means don't bother with them.  But taking a couple weeks off from your regular squat program isn't going to hurt in the long run (in fact the extended deload may even be good for you) or if you're worried about it too much you can keep the barbell squats going, but try it before you pass judgment.  I think you might be surprised....

Bas

Thx everybody! I will test all the masteries of SLS on my speed squat day go maybe on a separate day. If there is any of the movements i struggle with, then i will work on them before i go to the next progression.  I will come with some feedback on how it goes. 

 

I know that i am really weak in my core and generally my upper body. And THAT is why i am working and focusing on what i suck at, and the ones that suck at the legs should start working them and stop doing upper body for showoff ;) i am always trying to better myself. and that is why i want to focus on flexibility and FSAS and also the Basic fundamental positions, because i suck at it. and i don't know why, but i feel that my body is really slow to get stronger, even though i sleep about 8hr and i nearly only eat organic food. meat, fruit, nuts and lots of greens and sometime in the evenings more carb based. i do all the right things and work hard! But even so, there are so many that is stronger, faster and bigger and can do all kind of stuff better than me. 

thanners

From what you've said, you probably do have plenty of strength in the legs, but it's still worth just going through them -- they may illuminate mobility issues. And if you blow straight through them, then great! You won't need to spend much time on them anyway.

 

And speaking of mobility, even if the SLS/PEs are easy, the associated mobility elements may also be things worth doing.

 

Anyway, good to have you aboard. (c:

Joshua Slocum
Bas said:

Hmm 2years seems fast. I think i will fokus more on just GB for my strenght training and not work weights en the evenings.

But i probably still practise my normal barbells squats minimum once a week and blend in some of the SLS exercises.

I have not been doing and still not gonna do SLS exercises, that i feel is super easy. And i don't wanna gain any more mass on those legs! 

I will try the mini cycles if i get stuck.. I hope i can get through it all and that it will be faster than 3.5 years.. 

And yes maybe with time i will be strong enough to do these basic exercises, but the lever in big legs does still play a huge role in my opinion...

 

Thx- for the advice everybody.

 

At the very least, make your way through the SLS iM exercises. They won't cause you to put on any mass, and they are worth their weight in printer ink for the benefits they'll bring to your knees, hips and ankles. 

dritar

The SLS im exercises are pure gold in my opinion.  The first 3 especially...