This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090224

Started by Coach Sommer, February 24, 2009 · 8 Replies · 1,436 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090123.jpg

Complete the following:

10 minutes in XR Strap HS

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

Post the overall time spent trying to accumulate the 10 minutes XR Strap HS total and the average length of your HS sets below. Compare your results with 090123.

notes:

1) To perform an XR Strap HS, first drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6"-8" from the ground. Now kick up into a HS, widely straddling your legs so that they catch on the straps. Note that your legs will remain in contact with the straps during the entire time in HS. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your XR Strap HS.

2) Only time spent in the actual handstand counts toward your 10 minute total. Perform as many sets as necessary to reach this 10 minute total.

3) If an XR Strap HS is currently beyond you, instead spend 20 minutes in a Wall HS.

4) Be sensitive to your wrists; if the training load is too great for them, end this workout early. Do not be overly concerned if this is necessary. Your wrist strength will continue to improve over time if you are patient.

griffdrc

any tips for freestanding ring handstands? i'm comfortable in freestanding handstands on the floor, shoulderstand on the rings and ring handstands using the straps...

Blairbob

Darn, this is gonna take forever as I think my max HS on rings with legs on straps is 20-30s. I really would hate to try 20m of wall HS though, eccck.

For free HS on rings, simply play with getting fully extended on with your legs on the insides of the straps instead of the outside and trying to tap the inside of your ankles together and back to the straps. Eventually, hold this for longer and longer.

For some reason, whenever I setup the rings hanging from a high bar or my power tower, my feet will be roughly touching the top of the bar. This way I can balance tap off the bar similar to how I tap-bounce my feet off the wall when doing a wall HS with my wrists close to the wall ( wrist HS ). I will probably set them up this way off the low bar at the gym since if I do DL at the gym and then come home and do the ring HS I will probably be wasted. Better to DL afterwards than before, methinks.

Coach Sommer
any tips for freestanding ring handstands? i'm comfortable in freestanding handstands on the floor, shoulderstand on the rings and ring handstands using the straps...

At this point you are almost certainly NOT ready for a free standing handstand on the rings, but would be better served in the long term by focusing on XR Strap HS. Even National Team athletes find this movement very challenging; especially when done for time. The advantage of using the straps is twofold; first they allow you to both seek a correct body alignment and two to strive to completely extend the shoulder girdle (e.g. squeeze the ears with your shoulders) while in the handstand. A XR Strap HS, done correctly, is an extremely demanding and fatiguing skill. Enjoy.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

Recovery Week continues:

5 minutes in XR Strap HS

1:30, 1:30, 1:22, :08, :30

1x10 wrist push-ups

Average time increased per hold, though I don't think I could have continued to 10 minutes at 1:30 a round.

Still, it required much less perceived effort to turn out the rings and keep the straps off the shoulders.

Blairbob

nice

Nobodystopsdblob

10 minutes in XR Strap HS

5 minutes and 12 seconds approx. Had to walk back and forth to look at clock. This took 18 minutes to rack up and I would estimate that I was averaging 45 seconds per attempt

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

1 set of unbroken off knees and then 1 set in full push up position but broken (still a first!)

I had my legs wrapped around the straps. I actually can't kick up into a handstand on the rings so I touch my head to the floor, and kick my legs up to the straps and then press up. I am probably not strong enough to get the full benefit of doing 10 minutes because it would take me an hour to get close I think. But I thought spending time doing this was better for the stabilizers and such. Maybe I am wrong.

Brandon

I started with practicing L-sits to press shoulderstand. When I did the HS I could only hold it on the rings for a couple seconds, so I did the handstands on parallets for about a minute each or so. I only did 5 minutes worth and then 5 sets of L-sit lifts of 3 reps each. Videos are in my workout log.

Blairbob

10 minutes of HS on rings with legs on inside of straps.

30s-30s,20s-20s-20s,15sx4,15sx4,15sx4. This was only 5 minutes worth and believe it or not, it took me 35m or so. Rest periods might have taken too long, but it probably took at least 5-10s to get into each HS before I started the count and 5-10s to psyche myself up to jump into the HS. I didn't bring my XR to work so I used the low rings (3') and put a block underneath them. Ehh.

I stopped with 5 minutes since I was already breaking down at 15s.

Preceded to OLAD Heavy Balance Beam DL. Used a light BB to wu for 10r, then did sets of 4, 8, and 10 with the heavy beam and a cooldown set of 10 with the light beam. Et finis.

I had thought about doing 5 more minutes of support work on rings or L or 10m of wall HS but it was getting late as it was. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.