Working out with Scoliosis -and trying to fix major imbalances.

Started by VegVeg, October 21, 2013 · 3 Replies · 3,422 Views

VegVeg

Hey all,so I was born with a condition which pretty much makes my whole body imbalanced, my right side is much stronger and dominant compared to my left side, upper and lower body included .

 

 

Anyway I was thinking of maybe adding some extra work doing single arm push ups,assisted single arm pull ups etc strictly for my left side, to try and compensate for the fact that it is barely getting worked doing normal exercises !

 

What do you think??

And what volume/ intensity should it be done at??

 

 

Thanks in advance for any replies ^^

 

Pics of condition~

 

220px-Blausen_0785_Scoliosis_01.png

Doni

Im having the same problem as you,but i even have like a hole in my chest thats called pectus exvacutum 

i dont know what to do.

VegVeg

Would it be rude to bump this post? :(

 

We humbly seek enlightenment 

VeganMartin

About three years ago I had severe back pain. I also had a temporary form of scoliosis due to muscle spasms. Is your scoliosis structural or is it caused by muscle spasm? If the latter, you might get relief from special exercises. A physiotherapist might be able to help.

I'd never heard of pectus exvacutum and had to look it up. Have you thought about using a vacuum bell to correct the condition?

As for imbalances in strength, I would do extra for the weaker side. I actually do this now but not during my formal exercise periods. I do them at odd moments of the day in a greasing-the-groove style. My left triceps is now stronger and has a bit more bulk than it used to have. I sometimes do make more of an effort with the weak side during formal exercise periods. For example, I will try to pull harder with my left arm during pull ups or push harder with my left arm during dips.

With scoliosis - especially the structural type - or pectus exvacutum, it would be better to get appropriate medic/physiotherapist opinion in case exercise would cause damage.

If the scoliosis is caused by muscle tightness/spasm you'll need to find out which muscles are causing the problem or you might make matters worse by strengthening the muscle that is already tight and neglecting the weak antagonist muscle.

 

Edit: Doni, I've just seen on the other thread that you are 12 years old. As you are still growing it might be easier to correct your pectus exvacutum. Get some advice from a specialist. Look into the vacuum bell treatment as it seems like the least invasive.

 

Good luck and good health to you both.