I know I mentioned this in a thread already, I acknowledge that. But what in the gymnastics world of strength is the equivalent to shrugging 525 lb dumbbells without lifting straps? And yes, 525 lb dumbbells.
How does this stack up
Started by The Silverback, October 20, 2013 · 8 Replies · 2,121 Views
Is this a trick question ?
um... not to be rude, but do you really think there is a real answer to this question? You seem to be posting quite a few outrageous goals and questions around the forum without saying anything about where you are at in your own training...
What is your training routine?
What are your strength levels/body stats currently at?
For 1, no it's not a trick question. I think anything is possible if you want it bad enough.
Ill post all my stats and routine later I need to write it all out, and ill be testing myself for new numbers today any way
The Silverback said:I don't think doing a planche even compares to something like shrugging 525 lb dumbbells with no straps in terms of sheer strength and impressiveness. Id imagine few people can even deadlift 525 with one hand
It looks like you're here to prove something. Right now it seems like you're trying to pick a fight and show how real strength comes from weight lifting. If you're not just here to troll, you may want to clarify your position.
I don't think there's an equivalent 1 to 1 move for everything. If you really want to you could claim that an iron cross is like a bodyweight lateral dumbbell raise, or planche is like benching you body weight above you're waist, but they're really not the same thing.
Well ill take the blame for it, because I honestly didnt remember posting that. I have a million other things on my mind that are far are important in my life right now. So no, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just have a really bad habit of over analyzing things and as a result I askthe same question(s) again.
You can not compare such things. Strength is not a definite thing that is the same in all categories, especially when it comes to complex movements like in gymnastics. Strength is as much nerurological as it is muscular and it is movement and skill specific. That is why there are specialists at different sports and ways of training.
With weightlifting you can more easily calculate the amount of force required to do a lift and the bigger you are, the more power you will in general be able to create. The concept of "sheer strength" isnt applicable in all contexts as it is when you compare weight A to weight B. Of course lifting something like what you talk about here is beyond the limits of most people and requires very specific and hard training to achieve.
In gymnastics the movements are very complex and requires a massive amount of specific skill training and flexibillty to reach the highest levels. A butterfly pull or a balandin 2 for example is ridiculously difficult and very few are able do it. Compared to weightlifting, on rings, or in a planche, the less you weigh (to a certain level) and the shorter you are the easier it will be. The genral force production required for the gymnastic strength elements will thus vary a lot from person to person.
Simple. A 1050 lb gymnast performing an inverted shrug on rings.
Robbie Coker said:Simple. A 1050 lb gymnast performing an inverted shrug on rings.
Holy crap, we have to delete this perfect nutrition thread! ![]()