form check: basic support + "open" tuck FL

Started by Justin Rawley, February 24, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,235 Views

Justin Rawley

Support - working on keeping head up

vFNItzO_2ts

"Open" tuck FL - hoping soon for a flat tuck

ZkKdujsC4sg

sasquatch

The tuck FL looks pretty flat to me.

Good job.

Blairbob

Nope still has the back rounded. I consider advanced tuck hitting 90 degrees in the hips and knees but that may be just what I shoot for. I can teach this and get them to understand this vs "make your back flat".

Nice support, especially for a big gal.( 5'7 124 is gigantic amongst gymnasts, and taller than normal for average caucasians ). It definitely makes me give more props because I thought you may be a pixie at 5' 105ish. You're slender.

coachnate

Just my two sense - great turn-out on your support. It's hard to tell from the youtube if your elbows are locked, but it doesn't look bad. Also good to see that the rings aren't right against your sides - Great job!

For the tuck part, I would agree with Blair. If you could think of it in extremes next time you do it (almost like creating a shrugging action) that might help.

Justin Rawley

Thanks guys for the advice and the support (pun intended?) :?: :roll: :lol:

How long I can keep my elbows locked determines how long I stay in the support. I come down when I feel that I can no longer keep the elbows straight. So far my best time is a little under 40 seconds. The last time I hit 40, I felt my elbows beginning to bend right at the end of the time. I could have held on a bit longer, but once form deteriorates, staying up there kind of defeats the purpose.

For the tuck, I'm trying to transition away from the basic tuck, but I haven't yet got the flat tuck. I think Nate's advice is similar to what's in the book, "...think of pulling your shoulders back away from your hands while at the same time pressing your hands down towards your hips." (Sommer, Christopher. Building the Gymnastic Body. Anthem, Arizona: Olympic Bodies, 2008). I was thinking about that today in fact.

Coach Sommer

Akrajen,

Very nice work. I was especially impressed with your support position on the rings. Better by far than most I have seen by non-gymnasts!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Justin Rawley
Very nice work. I was especially impressed with your support position on the rings. Better by far than most I have seen by non-gymnasts!

Thanks, always appreciate the feedback!