Bent arm/Straight arm strength

Started by OliverMarcell, October 20, 2013 · 5 Replies · 7,455 Views

OliverMarcell

Hello good people.

I have always combined straight arm and bent arm strength in one session, and with great results! But i have noticed some people seperate their training in SA and BA sessions. My straight arm exercises are primarily planche training, front lever and OAH variations. But recently i've started to dig into iron cross training and planche on the rings. 

What do you do? Do you seperate the sessions or combine them? What do you find is most effective? And how often do you train SA sessions? 

I know we're all different and our bodies are different, but i'd love to hear your experience and thoughts on this topic! 

And i'd love to hear Coach Sommers own method on his students regarding this topic. 

Have a lovely Sunday. 

Oliver

Daniel Burnham

Separating bas and sas becomes productive when you are ready for more advanced skills like cross and maltese. Before this point separating them is not necessary. Most gymnasts follow a bent and straight split.

Cody

I have mine mixed together. I don't think I've ever done a workout without both of them, except for when I was a complete beginner and knew nothing.

I've made pretty decent progress so far.

jwalker497

I've done both ways and I go back and forth.  

 

I like the separated for reasons that I can spend more time on specific skills.  

 

On the other hand, doing them together lets you get done in one session and you can practice skills more frequently.  

MonkeyMan

Combining both seems to have given me best results so far.

jervoisonfire

Could you describe what a normal routine is for you when you combine?

 

At the moment I generally split the two but will usually have some sort of straight arm work in my bent arm stuff.  So at the moment I'm focusing on one armed push ups and weighted chin ups in my bent arm days but I'll throw in some hand stands and some form of lever.

 

Straight arm days though I stick to planche, handstands and lever training,