This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Head position for headstands

Started by Duff, October 18, 2013 · 2 Replies · 140 Views

Duff

Hello all.

 

I'm wondering, what is the correct position of the head for headstands.

 

In the videos, the athlete does it on his forehead, and this version is more difficult than doing it on the crown or the top of your head. It also makes rolling forward more difficult.

 

I have a thin neck, so I started from Day 1. Should I go back and start doing it on the forehead?

 

And are the two different variations strengthening different muscles? Should I be doing any other exercises to counterbalance it?

 

Thanks for the answers.

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

on the board, there's been people throwing around reasons to do either, just don't hurt your neck. I've suffered multiple concussions, hurt my shoulder, had whiplash, so i got my share of neck injuries and I started low too and only moved on from PE1 because i didn't feel any discomfort and minimal shaking doing it for the prescribed time(5x60) 

 

doing it on Headstands kind of amplified the feeling, so i didn't start too adv in the weeks, also, the iM demands some....work. :P 

 

and the iM will do the job of loosening up the chest muscles and upper/middle back :) 

 

as for what strengthens what in each position, im at a loss to fill you in there, i just know that my cervical calcification has gone down while doing it on the crown of my neck AND mobilizing my neck during my warm up and after my headstand set is over (I do my H1 workouts with a Timer and I have set as follows: 1. get ready(10 seconds), Hold (time prescribed pertaining to week), change position (15seconds) and iM(prescribed time)

while I exit the headstand, grab my weighted bar and get ready to start the iM, I'll rotate my neck or just give some relief to my tight spots, do the iM, do another few neck rotations if i need it and reset the timer to keep going.

 

just make sure to mobilize your neck and to make it a usual thing 

Bipocni

It's personal preference really.  I'm not going to go into the pros and cons of each one.  I'd say just get comfortable with each one.

 

Although I will say I find the forehead supported position "harder" and since I've moved on to headstands I've only used the top of my head.