This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 ABH intensity / ROM

Started by Michael Borregaard, October 17, 2013 · 11 Replies · 482 Views

Michael Borregaard

After suffering a lot from back pain and cramps, which seem to be related to ABH and windmill, I have been thinking about the way I do these exercises. It seems to me that ABH is very different from HBH (FL/PE1), and not just because I bend the other way. When I do HBH I find the 'right' hollow position, using proprioception and cues to find the right bend, protraction, PPT etc. The position is reasonably comfortable, but then of course after some time this nice burning sensation in the abs sets in, so I cannot yet hold it 5x60s. 

But in the ABH it seems that I am not finding a 'right' position, but always struggling to increase the ROM. This means that instead of holding a steady tension in my muscles, I am pushing at something close to maximum tension to increase ROM throughout. And this pushing with full force is very unpleasant to sustain for a longer period. I also think it carries a high risk of injury, and is responsible for my lumbar pains. Finally, it means that it is very hard to progress, because as I get stronger, I am just able to push further into the position and increase the tension - so I cannot hold it for more seconds.

But is this wrong? Is there a 'correct' balanced ROM that I can find and maintain without pushing agains the body's resistance, similar to the sensation of doing HBH?

Thanks,

M

PS: I have noticed that most people have difficulties with ABH, and thought this might be the reason. I think I have read most posts on the forum about ABH.

Keilani Gutierrez

for ABH, i've found that i "spun" my wheels less by focusing on creating a nice arch by bending back the middle of my back and retracting my scapulas. I tey to picture where my back is in space and take a mental picture when I retract / while im adjusting the front portion, on the rear, i touch my feet together and squeeze my butt together and lift my legs straight up.

this posture won't be a shadow of what it's like to get into a hollow hold or subsequent progressions because you aren't fighting the tightness of your chest, abs and quads. so this is one that will come with time and dedication.

the finishing position can be a little confusing to some (myself, included) because it mimics what a bridge would look like if you didnt have a place to clamp on with your hands and feet. also, the reason why it will probably hurt your lower back is because you're not focusing on thoraxic mobility and hip extension. if you can film yourself and (carefully) bend at the lower back, you'll notice that you don't really flex from the hip much, you'll try to get all that lift from your lower back.

practice laying down on the floor prone(stomach down) get comfortable(if you're male, you dont want to squish the jewels) now put your hands out infront of you or at your sides and do the following drill with one leg at a time: lock your knee by extensing your quad and now lift solely with your glutes, notice how different that feels and repeat on the other side.

it kind of feels like your creating the same base with your abs that you create when you push your lower back into the ground, doesnt it?

I haven't really gotten to the "end" of the ROM with this PE, but judging by the way i (very bro-science-y) believe, you will eventually reach a position where you won't eventually curl up and disappear into nothing-ness.

everybody knows only kangaroo's can do that.

Bipocni

I've been wondering about ROM myself.  The way I figure it is when I'm in a hollow hold, the bottom of my ribs and the waistband of my shorts are the end points of my contact with the ground.  Transfering this to an arch hold, my legs would have to completely clear the ground and my chest as well.  I think I can get into this position to start with, but definitely not by my fifth set...

Mats Trane

What helped me with the ABR was not only to pull the head and but towards each other but also to concentrate on pushing/tensing your abs to the ground.

Alan Tseng

Do gluteal activation and thoracic extension + thoracic rotation mobility exercises before you start ABH.  So by the time you start the set, you already have your "required" ROM, rather than getting the ROM in the middle of the exercise.

Michael Borregaard

Nice, thanks for this advice. The way I understand it is that you suggest NOT pushing for further ROM, but rather doing some back stretches before, finding a nice position, and then try to maintain it? I do have a full bridge, so I should be able to find a good position, I hope.

And thanks Keilani for the pointers on the cues - I had a bit of a small epiphany a few weeks back when I realised I could use the glutes to lift straight legs rather than lifting from the lower back. Later today I will try to film myself both when pushing for more ROM and trying not to do it, an upload it here.

Keegan Y

Stretching the hip flexors, chest, and lats as well as doing activation work for the glutes and upward rotators prior to performing ABH has definitely helped me improve my ROM on this exercise. I'd also strongly recommend getting yourself a copy of Kit Laughlin's Stretching & Flexibility and utilizing his lesson plans and stretching method to improve your overall flexibility.

As far as the ROM goes, just keep working until you can emulate the form of the athlete in the demo video. That means that only the area from the bottom of your ribs to the Iliac crests are on the ground (only the very top of the thighs where they meet the hips is in contact with the ground), legs locked straight and feet together, arms in line with shoulders.

Once there just work on holding it for the required times.

~Atticus

Does anyone have any thoracic extension / thoracic activation mobility routines they can share for ABH? 

Keegan Y

H1. Seriously, HS IM 1 is great for shoulder flexion.

Other than that just focus on reaching "up" (imagine you were standing and reaching towards the ceiling) to make yourself as long as possible. This should get your upper back activating. Then while continuing to reach up try to lift the chest off the floor as high as possible (while also lifting the legs of course).

Bipocni
~Atticus said:

Does anyone have any thoracic extension / thoracic activation mobility routines they can share for ABH? 

I like this one.

~Atticus

This is great. Thanks.

Bipocni
~Atticus said:

This is great. Thanks.

Good luck.  Stupid rotation into bridge......