This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility & Flexibility Work On Rest Days?

Started by mbbenny, October 17, 2013 · 9 Replies · 544 Views

mbbenny

Hey guys, first post here. 

 

Background: I'm a 19 year old who's been doing gymnastics (recreationally) for about a year now. I've always been very active and I'm used to a fairly high workload. I have pretty decent strength and power, but my lack of flexibility is really holding me back. I plan on doing a F1+H1 5 day split in the morning along with some mobility work, and skill training (mostly tumbling, not so much apparatus) in the afternoon.

 

Question: Can I do some mobility/flexibility work on my rest days? How much should I do? What about some light cardio (dance class ect?)

 

Sorry if there's already a thread about this.

Bipocni

Both extra cardio and extra mobility work are officially endorsed.

 

For stretching, look into Kit Laughlins work.

 

For cardio, no standard solution exists.

Riku Calderón

And welcome!!

mbbenny

Thanks Bipocni for clearing that up. And thank you for the welcome RiQC. I'm really excited to get started!

MattProulx
Bipocni said:

Both extra cardio and extra mobility work are officially endorsed.

 

For stretching, look into Kit Laughlins work.

 

For cardio, no standard solution exists.

I nominate rope jumping, but deck squats are awesome, I really think they could be a cardio workout in their own right.

Alan Tseng

No cardio, flexibility, mobility on rest days. Do that on your work days

Irenicus

What has worked well for myself is performing the warm up every day, even on "rest days".  5-10 minutes, lower PE exercises and 1 set of any of the mobility I like to keep up on, such as Xiaopeng to keep ahead of an old labrum tear.  Helps to keep me moving pain-free and keep all the progress I have made.

Andre737

I do some light stretching on my rest days and it feels like it's supporting my recovery!I see no reason why you shouldn't stretch on rest days.

Adriano Augusto

Rest days are rest days, not "lazy" days. One actually should feel the need of moving, it doesn't matter the form. Today for instance is my rest day (sunday), and I've been doing rock climbing at La Puebla here in Huelva, being my first time climbing outside. It has been really fun, scary at times, but fun. 

 

Extremely hard? Not at all. My fingers hurts a little bit, but nothing dramatic that would interfere my training. 

 

Rest days are for rest, it means: to play without strict training! Discover new things, or just do stretching, walking, yoga, swimming... nothing extremely agressive.

wheezer

I do a long, slow and easy jog on my rest day. Really helps clean out the system.