Double Front Flip Drills

Started by aiken54, October 14, 2013 · 11 Replies · 6,661 Views

aiken54

So recently my front tumbling has been advancing very rapidly. I have clean front step outs into round off back flip (whip, layout, flash, tuck, x, etc.). I can garner a significant amount of height on my front flips, enough to do laid out front fulls on floor. So, from some cheer coaches and a gymnastics instructor, I was told that my front tuck is at the level where I could begin drills for the double front tuck. And this is why I am here. Attached is a video of my third attempt at a double, and there are lots of flaws that I can see, but I'll leave naming them to the pros (here). Judging from the problems with my double attempt, can somebody prescribe some drills to iron out the imperfections? 

 

Thanks.

 

 

 

aiken54

Bump.

Keilani Gutierrez

i don't have experience with flipping (I wasn't into it while riding bikes, it was shady practicing it with no foam pit) but i did have 360's, 540's and a few 720's under my belt.

there is a time during the pre-wind, that I would do to decide last minute how many times i would spin around.

mentally, that decision prepared me for the "time" i spent spinning and when i would exit it, 180's only had a small pop, 360's had a longer rotation, 720's felt like i was spinning forever.

i know guys that could do 720's better than they could 540 but that's only because the guys who were riding out from 5's were doing them on a quarterpipe and that has it's own technique.

that said, i dont know how much you'd benefit from practicing front flip to dive roll and getting used to how much time you need to be "in the spin", if you do tricking, im certain you know how to gague that by now. especially if you have a foam pit to huck the flip into it.

i dont know about flipping but that's what i did to dial rotations (a friend of mine and myself were the only guys who could do spins in regular and opposite directions and I had 180's, 360's under my belt 8 out of 10 times and 540's 3 out of 5 times, in both directions.) 7's were a bit risky, so those were a dime in the dozen.

Norbert Marko

Pls be careful with the recommended Front Flip Dive Roll, granted you are approaching the ground headfirst with so much momentum, it can be extremely dangerous without proper instructions and a good coach.

Keilani Gutierrez

anyone at that point would also be sensible to take note that I was talking about rotation (which i pointed out) and that i dont do tricking.

AND that those progressions be done into a foam pit, which is why this guy doesn't flip

Blairbob

 Work front tuck open besides front tucks on to a porta pit or stacked mats.

Oldrich Polreich

My friend trained for double sideflip (probably safer than FF) by doing really high sideflips. For example he stacked two gym blocks on top of each other and landed on them (180cm - ish high). He practiced this until he was able to land clearly on his legs. Than, he tried double into foampit couple of times and than he moved onto floor. 

Norbert Marko
KeilaniG said:

anyone at that point would also be sensible to take note that I was talking about rotation (which i pointed out) and that i dont do tricking.

AND that those progressions be done into a foam pit, which is why this guy doesn't flip

Yes I see it now, somehow missed the foam pit part.

aiken54

Any drills to really speed up that second flip? I notice I stall briefly in between the first and second front. 

Joshua Slocum
aiken54 said:

Any drills to really speed up that second flip? I notice I stall briefly in between the first and second front.

You need to maintain a tight tuck through both flips. If your second flip is slower it's because you're opening up your tuck.

aiken54

So is a double just a super high frontflip that I overjuice as much as possible on and hold tighter and longer? (pardon my run on)

Joshua Slocum

In essence, yes.