Coach Summer, all ---
I've been trying to think of a way to introduce a baseline or control to my practice of the Gymnastic Bodies' daily WODs.
The idea being to establish a set of fundamental Gymnastic Bodies criteria of exercises, reps, and weights, around which I could occasionally test and measure myself.
It would accurately diagnose strength and flexibility deficiencies, allowing them to be addressed specifically with skill and/or strength work in addition to the main WODs. Also, demonstrable, measurable gains provide fantastic positive reinforcement, and for those of us who don't measure our strength and flexibility gains through competition or performance, gymnastic or otherwise, this would be invaluable.
I stumbled across Ido Portal's post regarding the bent- and straight-arm podkatchkas, and I think they would make a great metric. I'll post the two Podkatchkas below, reformatted.
I had thought to perform both (to the best of my abilities) every 10-12 weeks, at the end of a reduced-volume week.
Also, the ability to perform these exercises with increasingly shorter periods of rest seems to me to be another metric of increased muscular endurance.
To make the podkatchkas approachable, I thought to pattern them on Crossfit Portland's Athletic Skills Levels, so the repetitions, leverage positions, and time intervals as Mr. Portal has listed them would be considered Level 5, or the highest level.
One could establish progressively approachable variations for each exercise, and then group them together as Levels 1 through 5.
For example, Level 5 would be 15 Strict Muscle-ups (Straight through, no release of rings).
Level 4: 15 Strict Muscle-ups (Segment as needed).
Level 3: 15 kipping muscle-ups (straight).
Level 2: 15 kipping muscle-ups (segment as needed).
Level 1: 45 pull-ups/45 dips.
It seems most of the exercises are eminently scaleable, though a few are equipment-specific, specifically the P-bars.
(I think surviving the entire thing constitutes a workout in and of itself.)
I'm curious to hear any thoughts or opinions, especially regarding any blindspots or shortcomings it might have.
regards,
jason