Fall 2013 (Video)

Started by aiken54, October 12, 2013 · 5 Replies · 1,648 Views

aiken54

So I've been making significant progress lately both on video editing and movement. Most of this footage is from yesterday. I'm the tall one, the short kid is 11 and is crazy good for his age. Hope you enjoy! 

 

gohei_

A lot of crazy moves I might say  :)

Guest

:blink: how did you do those?? In all seriousness, how were you able to get the skills that you did? I'm a sophomore in high school right now and want to learn some flips/tumbling, just don't know where to get started... Thanks!

Cody
Awarenesss said:

:blink: how did you do those?? In all seriousness, how were you able to get the skills that you did? I'm a sophomore in high school right now and want to learn some flips/tumbling, just don't know where to get started... Thanks!

Yeah, what's the best way to get started in tricking? I'm already doing gymnastics, but I want to start tricking on my own. 

aiken54

Awarenesss, I'm a Junior in high school! I started doing flips about one year ago. I started with the aerial. I got it but very inconsistently. But the lift and push concept I used to get it transferred over very well to websters, the flip I decided to learn on the day I landed my first, and last (at least for a while) aerial. The webster, or one footed frontflip, helped my proprioception when flipping more than anything. 

 

So, what I would advise is this: learn cartwheels and handsprings. Make them clean and straight. With a good cartwheel, aerials are super easy. With the concept of lift and push (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DESMF1YDWb0), you should get a solid aerial. In conjunction with aerials, after you have solid handsprings, learn front and backflips. From there, it's really up to you. I would recommend learning websters, as they are super fun. Gainers should soon follow, as they are the lynchpin of many tricking combos. Butterfly kicks and twists are helpful, as they are good for corks. Just remember to ALWAYS be creative. I had the best session ever two nights ago because me and the younger kid in the video just played around with setups and weird twists. Oh and learn kicks. I'm weak in those, so I won't provide advice here. Hook kicks are vital.

 

tl;dr - Lift and push concept is your best friend. Get cartwheels then aerials, get the basic front, back, and sideflips down. From there it's up to you. I have my opinions, stated above, but it's really up to you. 

Jake Lawrance

Thanks for sharing that lift and push concept, might be getting my flips down soon ;)