This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do against Hollow Back? F1 enough?

Started by William, October 12, 2013 · 11 Replies · 670 Views

William

the title says it all. I have a big problem with my posture - for many years i have a hollow back(med.)

After ten minutes of staying on a spot like on some concerts or outside with friends talking or just waiting for someone, i got lower back pain. Moving helps, i know, but its not going away for that day, the feeling of a tight back. And i am just 23 now, so i don't want to see in the future with that feeling getting more worse.

I have to say, that i trained my abs(not like now with F1), i played football, which i think is also a reason for my posture, because the training/the game was onesided for my muscles, strong quads and abs, the rest not.

 

So i want to do what i can against that. I hate to have this arch in my back, my head also follows the way down a bit and this makes you look like you have a bad day, if you don't :D
With that come more problem over the time and i started F1 for one month and hope over the next months i can strengthen my body the right way.

I want to know, if it's enough to help me with that problem, i know strong abs are one good thing against anterior pelvic tilt, but that seems not enough for me. 
So, i know there are many like me out there, perhaps someone , who solved that for himself can give some words to that. Are there other stretchings or exercises you have done?

 

Thank you.

 

 

DBeckerman

Hi!

 

It seems that you have the same problem as me. I have a anterior pelvic tilt (bum sticks out) and anterior head tilt (head comes forward). This also gives the impression of rounded shoulders. My posture has improved so far which is good but it will take a fair while as I have been in a bad posture for some while.

 

The things I did to start to help were:

 

1) F1 - it seems so balanced that as I got stronger it helped my posture. I think RC1 might have had a good impact.

 

2) I try to fix my posture by engaging my glutes, pulling my abs around so I can feel my abs pulling my pelvis together. And also holding my shoulders in external rotation and pulling my scapula down. Think of holding a bar and trying to break it in half.

 

3) Foam roll my back, stretch my shoulders and chest

 

I hope these can help you, they have so far for me although I have a long way to go.

 

Cheers,

 

DB

William
DBeckerman said:

 

The things I did to start to help were:

 

1) F1 - it seems so balanced that as I got stronger it helped my posture. I think RC1 might have had a good impact.

 

2) I try to fix my posture by engaging my glutes, pulling my abs around so I can feel my abs pulling my pelvis together. And also holding my shoulders in external rotation and pulling my scapula down. Think of holding a bar and trying to break it in half.

 

3) Foam roll my back, stretch my shoulders and chest

 

I hope these can help you, they have so far for me although I have a long way to go.

 

 

Thank you. Everytime i try to tense my abs, when getting backpain, but than it's already too late, i think. 

hope F1 does its part for that, too.

It's hard to change my posture over the day, because i'm not thinking about it till it hurts. 

 

Stretching sounds like a good solution.

But to that i got some questions first. 

1. What do i really need to stretch? My quads, my lower back, my hip flexor? I read about some articles, but some say so others so.

2. How often and how many sets i have to stretch to get an carry-over to my posture in my normal life activities?

 

Thanks.

 

Robbie Coker

Check out kit laughlins YouTube channel. You'll want to try any (or all) of the hip flexor stretches, back bend over support, and pec minor partner stick stretch. I think they should help ur postural issues. Good luck!

James Hall

Also try PPT when you get pain. Just clenching abs isn't likely to be strong enough to ease lower back tension nor stretch hip flexors (illio bloody psoas😒). Glute work is ideal and loosen the hip flexors ASAP. For PPT start feeling the movement with cat cow and migrate to doing it standing, maximising ROM so it becomes more natural. When you standing you could try pressing your toes or heels to the ground to activate the glutes.

For the neck Robbie's stuff above worked for me. The early IMs in H1 are perfect. Good luck mate

William

Thanks for alle the stretching tipps, if i have the time i will look at Kit's channel.

And how often did you guys these exercises? Every day every exercise? How many sets and duration for stretches like this to get a good effect?

FredInChina
William said:

(...) if i have the time i will look at Kit's channel. (...)

Make the time! :)

 

James Hall

I was treating poor posture and associated neck sprain so I was doing stuff everyday as per physio recommendations.

William
James Hall said:

I was treating poor posture and associated neck sprain so I was doing stuff everyday as per physio recommendations.

And did it worked well for you? And after what time period the progress began really to change your posture? :)

So, now i will have a look at kit's channel. now i've found some time.

William

hey folks,

 

i'm reactivating this thread because my posture did not changed, back is still suffering from pain when standing some minutes and even with stronger abs through F1+2 it did not worked for me, i also did stretching my back and hip flexors.

That seems just not be enough, so i just had contact with a friend of me who had a foam roller, he says it s really nice for hard muscles too loosen them up...and after a little bit research there are so many different types of them, but i found out that in the forum the "rumble roller" seems to be favourit of most people.

 

So i want to give this a shot, do you think it brings more benefit to me as just stretching, because it can go deep in the muscles? 

I'd like to use it for lower back, upper back, quads and hip flexors, so do i have to look for a special size or something for that?

 

Thank you

Alexander Egebak

Have you tried stretching your obliques?

 

I recently discovered that ABH was not improving my lower back health, but rather my obliques. When SL progressions changed and I no longer did ABH I was extremely tight until I figured out how to do russian twists correctly.

 

I discovered my right side (both front and back) was weaker and had less range of motion than my left side. I am currently working high reps and high sets with low weight focusing on a very good torso stretch to my left side (with obliques on my right side) to loosen up the tightness. I will do so until the imbalance is fixed.

William

hey alexander, 

i think i never stretched obliques in a serious way, so i will have to check this out these days, at the weekend i can try out foam roller of a friend for 1-2 days, so i will roll about everything then!

 

Now i'm thinking about my neck, there s must be some imbalance, because my head tends always a little to one side instead of beeing neutral in the middle.