With HBP, sPL, instead of palms on the ground can I do them with fists instead?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Chronic wrist pain, substitute exercises.
Started by e04, October 10, 2013 · 7 Replies · 251 Views
Why do you have chronic wrist pain?
I agree with Joakim. If you don't already know exactly why you have it, find out. If you do, let us know more. That said, I tweaked my left wrist and have been forgoing most HS work as well as doing the pushing in F1 on my knuckles, including the shrugs. I must say it is nowhere near as difficult this way(for me anyway). I think it has a lot to due with not being able to hug the floor at the top portion. Regardless, I would only do this as a temporary thing as it is 1) not the rx'd exercise, and 2) not addressing your wrist problems.
Also highly recommend Handstand 1. There is TONS of wrist stuff in there, most of it indispensable IMO...wrist problems or not.
As someone who has had a lot of wrist pain and now making tons of progress, I recommend the following 4:
1. H1
2. Coach Sommer's routine here https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11811-advice-requested-concerning-returning-wrist-pains/
3. Soft tissue forearm work with a hard ball
4. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5284-elbowwrist-prehab-routine/
Those are just general exercises for the wrist. I do a lot of other stuff that I have discovered or made up for my specific wrist issues.
I also recommend you try to figure out what exactly is causing your pain and judge from there what is safe for you to do. Personally, I got practically no help from doctors and physical therapists. But, like any field, there are a lot of quacks around. I took matters into my own hands...got an old anatomy textbook, spent lots of time studying the forearms, talking to professors, getting my hands on plasinated bodies, etc.. I eventually pinned it down to tendonitis in extensor carpi radialis longus and in brevis. This allowed me to think up very specific rehab exercises which led to lots of progress. Typing on the computer for hours a day plus piano didn't help either as these muscles are used to steady the wrist while the fingers flex (If you do really fast scales or high tempo 12 bar blues on piano, you can feel a real hardcore burn in your forearm which will let you know just where these muscles are!)
Anyways, kinda went on a tangent there...but take matters into your own hands and don't just ask if it's safe to do X, Y, Z. If you have chronic pain you're just avoiding your weaknesses by looking for substitute exercises. Learn the root cause of those issues and tackle the problem from there. Expect lots of hard work.
Biren P. said:(...) try to figure out what exactly is causing your pain and judge from there what is safe for you to do. Personally, I got practically no help from doctors and physical therapists.
(...)
take matters into your own hands (...)
Maybe that's a little bit overkill, but starting next week, Coursera has a 9 weeks
program on the anatomy of the upper limb: ![]()
I was recently out of regular training for six months because of wrist pain and not understanding the cause. The wrist work from GB only hurt it more. My problem was having stiff muscles around the shoulder and all the way out in the arm from very intense bouldering and leaving stretching pretty much out. So if the wrist stuff here doesn't help you, try going to some kind of a sports massage therapist (a rolfer helped me) to get your arms and shoulder area worked on, do all the stretches and mobility work for the shoulder area that you can find in F1 and H1, see what might help you. Massage yourself with a tennisball on the floor, work long and determinedly on the stiff and tender areas. Try an Armaid or similar, see if it helps. One stretch that has helped me a lot is a standing pec stretch between two narrow walls, like in a hallway, with palms flat and fingers straight on either wall. If I feel the old stiffness in the wrist, a bit of that and it's gone.
As Biren said, expect lots of hard work. But it's worth it and you'll come out stronger and better on the other side.
FredInChina said:Maybe that's a little bit overkill, but starting next week, Coursera has a 9 weeks
program on the anatomy of the upper limb:
I just went to the university and sat in on an anatomy class before work and pretended like I signed up. Even went to the labs and used their cadavers. That is indeed probably overkill. A TA found me out though, because when she was handing back tests for the other students I didn't get a test back...she didn't care though hehe
Biren P. said:I just went to the university and sat in on an anatomy class before work and pretended like I signed up. Even went to the labs and used their cadavers. That is indeed probably overkill. A TA found me out though, because when she was handing back tests for the other students I didn't get a test back...she didn't care though hehe
LOL - Wonderfully resourceful! Melikes! ![]()
Although, if you were in the US, you'd probably be incarcerated for 995 years under some obscure provision of the patriot act! ![]()