This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Previously Learned Skills + F1

Started by RJS, October 10, 2013 · 5 Replies · 279 Views

RJS

Aloha from HI all,

Question: is it normal for me to be training with previously learned skills along with F1? Example would be bar and ring MU, some light multi joint compound weightlifting, skinning the cat, etc.

Background if this helps:

Already athletic 27 year old and flexible from advanced yoga. Started F1 and really loving it. Going for H1 next year when funds are saved. Can MU on rings and bar, so on a 4 day F1 training I will do extra bar work on days off. Also lots of cardio, skip rope, etc.

Testimonial: only in first month of F1 and already feel pretty strong from training with these PE's and IM's.

Thanks and sorry if already asked in other post.

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, it's totally fine. Just remember that Foundation should be your priority: if your recovery is suffering or you're failing to progress, reduce the volume of the other skills first. 

 

Also I'd recommend using your rest days to rest: do your additional work on Foundation days, after finishing your F1 work. 

RJS

Thanks Joshua, will do.

RJS

I have been cruising the site more and more, and im now thinking about changing my strategy. Perhaps i should renounce my other skills, aside from cardio since i would gain fat immediately, and fully dedicate myself to Foundation and Handstand series. 

 

You see, im a convert into the "street calisthenics" movement, and i got frustrated with its lack of progressional training. I kept seeing great bodyweight movements without the actual training to go about it. I purchased some books by a well known, tattooed new york calisthenics guide and having read through his material found that there was no structure to anything. in fact, he stated that he is completely against structure. Part of his muscle up training is to actually use one elbow over the bar first, which IMO seems stupid and dangerous. 

 

Anyway, i can see how starting over so to speak, and surrendering to to Coach Sommers teachings would be a wise decision. 

pghgymnastics

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I personally have stopped doing previous skill work while working through f1 and h1. I don't believe that I have lost strength in them. Before starting I was able to do a couple muscle ups, hold a side lever for a few seconds , and was doing 100 handstand wall runs within 5 minutes. The hs wall runs were the only one of these exercises that I worked consistently and I have found that I haven't lost the ability. I know that you said that flexibility isn't a problem for you, but it is for me, more than I realized before I began this training. Most surprising for me though, was the trouble that I had on the PEs especially those leading up to exercises that I could complete already, like the side lever. This course has been very humbling for me as it has for many here. It has pointed out MANY weaknesses that I didn't see before. I would say to not stop working previously attained skills completely, but to try them when you feel the urge, but when you do try to focus on strict form, because you may have been cheating before and not realizing it.

RJS

pghgymnastics, I agree with everything you said, Mahalo. Also, I hope I didn't sound supercilious when I mentioned my previous skills, there's not enough room in the digital coaching section to critique all the flaws in my form.

I just got H1 today and going to combine with F1. And, if I feel the urge, perhaps once in awhile, when no one is looking, I will sheepishly climb up over some rings into a dip.