This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength work after foundation series

Started by Boris Mikael Taube, October 9, 2013 · 15 Replies · 575 Views

Boris Mikael Taube

I wounder if smart to the strenght work to maintain pulling pushing strenght i different excercies after doing Foundation workout?

Also do some barebell squats on the SLS day?

What peopels opinion on this? Just do Fseries and nothing else streght work. Defenletly going to work on flexibility alot but strenght work require more recovery

Bipocni

I do a couple extra strength exercises after my F1 workout.  Just keep the volume really low, maybe 2 sets of 1-2 exercises each for pushing and pulling.

Burtchell345

Same. On the upper body HBP/RC day I typically throw on some muscle ups, Hespu, and kettlebell snatches, 2x5 or 3x3. The days I have SLS, I typically throw in pistols, wind sprints or double kb front squat/heavy swings same rep schemes no more than 10 on swings.

Joshua Slocum

Pretty much what the above two posters said. If you feel the need for supplemental strength work, do maintenance sets: very low sets (1-2), and not too many reps.

john_c

I have settled into a 4 day split and after the the 1st and 3rd day I do pull ups according to the 5 rep mastery as I was working on the pull ups prior to starting F1 and I am warmed up nicely after the RC/PE1 and iM. After the 2nd and 4th day I do a moderate deadlift program of 1 set of 5 of 70kg on day 2 and 1 set of 5 of 100kg on day 4 with warm up sets prior to each. I feel they are just at my limit and will review the weight every 8-12 weeks as I want to keep it in sync with F1.

Mark Collins

I do my F1 in the morning. In the evening I do other strength and cardiovascular training.

Andre737

At the beginning I did a lot of strength work after F1 because I was thinking I need to do more.But now after I'm more into Foundation and figured out the PE's that are really challenging me I almost skipped everything besides ring support holds and German hangs.

killroy70

I'm probably more in Andre's camp on this one. Depending on your goals, I would just be sure whatever supplemental work you're doing is not hindering your foundation work. I ran into this issue working in overhead barbell presses and vertical pulling work (weighted chins, pull ups). For example, I found myself stuck desperately trying to achieve 5x10 ground rows and just couldn't get sets 4 and 5, those last 3 reps of each set I just couldn't pull completely to the chest in perfect form. I repeated several micro cycles and finally, before this last one, dropped the supplemental work. This last 4 week micro cycle, I completed my mastery here in good form.

My goals may be different than yours as I am solely focused on achieving the foundation goals, but I've already noticed the benefits of doing other strenuous strength work. Single bar dips have also been mastered and I'm now working under grip single bar dips. I'm also doing the 5 day F split and working the H series on my MN/SL/SLS days, so my schedule is already pretty full.

killroy70

That last paragraph should have read "noticed the benefits of DROPPING other strenuous strength work."

Boris Mikael Taube

Thanks people. i just do the foundation series,4-5 a week+ integrated hanstand 1. ..Maybe im going to throw in some backsquat in a week because im joining a gym near my house. But i try to do more streching. working on my flexibiliy much lately 20-30 minutes streching after each workout. And for warm up i do quik general warm upp for the joints and some mobility excercises.

Going to post a progress on my splits and shoulder dislocation in 3 months :)

FredInChina
killroy70 said:

That last paragraph should have read "noticed the benefits of DROPPING other strenuous strength work."

 

There is an [edit] button that you can use to .....edit these things in your posts :)

(under the [like], between the [report] & the [Delete])

Jon Douglas

Mine is martial arts in the evening-- it works very well for me, although i am glad i moved to lower rep elements :)

Bipocni

Something I've been wondering is after I move on to F2, am I going to need to add more endurance work after my Foundation workouts?

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

Something I've been wondering is after I move on to F2, am I going to need to add more endurance work after my Foundation workouts?

probably taken care of with all the elements you inherited from F1, sometimes I wonder if one set of mastery is enough for some of them. 

 

[insert upcoming bridge metaphor here]

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Something I've been wondering is after I move on to F2, am I going to need to add more endurance work after my Foundation workouts?

I haven't had any issues with this. For example, as you work through higher FL progressions, your sets will continue to contain long stretches of time in a hollow body hold (plus more difficult additions obviously).

fitwell

There is enough upper body strength work in F7/H1 that I don't do any extra stuff for that, but given that there's only one lower body strength element and I'm stuck on PE2 due to the iM component, I still back squat once a week using the 5/3/1 programming. I find it to be the perfect amount of volume and intensity to make progress but not take away from my F7 work. 

 

I also have one day per week set aside for power cleans, though I keep the weight around 60-75% 1RM and the volume at 10 total reps or less.