Pull Ups

Started by usalvr2, February 21, 2009 · 3 Replies · 3,032 Views

usalvr2

* Sorry, I originally posted this in the wrong forum, so I'm re asking... -g *

Also, and I know this may not be the forum for this but since we are doing pull ups today, I thought I would ask a question. When I'm doing pull ups should I focus on (imagine I'm at a dead hang) pulling my elbows straight down, so they would ultimately end up placed against my rib cage (outside of rib cabe, where my elbows would normally hang if standing straight up). Or, pull straight down, in a motion that if continued would place my elbows in a backwards motion (imagine you were looking at me from the side and my body was a straight plane. Thus, a straight line with arms fully extended off the bar hanging straight down to toes. As I was pulling up, then, my elbows would continue behind my back--I can most equate it to when i'm totally cheating and doing everything possible to get over the bar on a muscle up.)

The reason I ask, is if I do the pull up from a dead hang, and strict (no kip) I feel like i'm working differenct muscles if I keep arms sholder width apart and pull elbows STRAIGHT down (my endng position, if viewing from behind would look like a 'W.') as opposed to pulling my arms straight back and through (almost more of a row).

Thanks a bunch and if this doesnt make sense, i'm sorry--and/or its way lame and one should just shut up an do more pull ups I apologize in advance.

sinc, -g.

Blairbob

When I do a pullup and keep my body and chest hollow, my body ends up being at a slight angle maybe 10-15 degrees short of vertical. My toes are forward of my center and my shoulders are behind my center mass. There is no arch in my chest or upper back.

usalvr2

Hi guys,

And, as always thanks for your help.

I guess my question is really, which pull ups should i be doing to benefit myself--the most. I have very little time to work out right now. so I want to insure I a getting the most bang for my buck.

So, this is, what I meant, by bending my arms, as opposed to not, etc.

The first example. Which I think I often do, and can do quite a bit of pull ups in this manner:

And, the second manner, which i was saying you almsot seemd shaped like a 'W' at the end:

Again, I am just wondering what everyones thoughts are about this issue.

Thanks a bunch.

-g.

matthew.percussion

In my opinion the wide pull-up is much more beneficial, also more difficult. Once you become proficient at these try doing them in an L-Hang. Good luck.