Hollow-Back Press Elbow Positioning

Started by Yaad Mohammad, October 4, 2013 · 5 Replies · 6,707 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys,

I was wondering about the elbow positioning in a hollow-back press. I see a lot of people having them inwards, slightly pressing against their bodies. I tried to do that, and for some reason I can't, I can't seem to be strong enough. So I tried one with my elbows outwards, which looks harder, and I managed to pull it off.

My question is: What is the correct elbow position in the hollow-back press? And which one is considered to be more difficult?

Daniel Burnham

Elbows will come closer to the sides (elbows in) at the bottom. In my experience this allows you to have better scapular control and get more strength through the lower position.

They won't touch the sides though.

Alessandro Mainente

from my experience elbows must held so that you cannot assist the lower part by pushing them into the body, is a BAP you need minimum assistance, i found since my last video that adjusting that permits to you to perform a fluid movement.

Mats Trane

inwards (closer to the sides).

Yaad Mohammad
Daniel Burnham said:

Elbows will come closer to the sides (elbows in) at the bottom. In my experience this allows you to have better scapular control and get more strength through the lower position.

They won't touch the sides though.

 

 

Mats Trane said:

inwards (closer to the sides).

 

 

alex87 said:

from my experience elbows must held so that you cannot assist the lower part by pushing them into the body, is a BAP you need minimum assistance, i found since my last video that adjusting that permits to you to perform a fluid movement.

Am I performing it correctly in that case? I don't seem to be able to do it when I position my elbows inwards...

Daniel Burnham

It actually looks pretty good. Your elbows are going to the side much and are parallel with your body in the bottom portion.