If we have significant strength in certain areas, for me I can do 4-5x 8-10 straight leg raises, can we use other mastery templates to program that area while mobility catches? I've found myself stronger in core movement exercises vs statics which is another reason I'm asking, and I really don't want to have that kind of gap...
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Mastery templates
Started by Burtchell345, October 3, 2013 · 9 Replies · 260 Views
Burtchell345 said:If we have significant strength in certain areas, for me I can do 4-5x 8-10 straight leg raises, can we use other mastery templates to program that area while mobility catches? I've found myself stronger in core movement exercises vs statics which is another reason I'm asking, and I really don't want to have that kind of gap...
understandable, but i wouldn't go for it, at least at the level you're at now. strength is like an explosion and mobility, the way we can use it, so i guess we can call it the barrel of the gun?
if your strength is in excess of your mobility, the movement pattern of using it won't be too effective, which is why we get hurt in the first place. (in this case, if you increment the size of the explosion, withouth reinforcing the barrel or sorrounding structures, you might turn that handgun into a small grenade)
it's recommended that you keep repeating cycles of week 9-12, if your strength is already taken care of and your mobility is catching up and maybe insert after your workout a mobility or stretch session to work on that deficit per ce but i wouldn't let it take from ya. I've started to notice how a lot of the iM's from other elements are built like a matrix and as soon as you gain proficiency in a few, a snowball pattern will emerge until you hit your next mobility wall (the same can be applied to the strength side of the progressions, not in all of them, but there's some noteable bottlenecks.)
so just keep working on your mobility and the rest will take care of itself! unless, for example, if you posted exactly what you wanted to do, you could get a much different answer than the above or one more specialized to your situation. what i mean by that is if you're working on Mn/PE1 and 5x15 is easy for you, you wouldn't want to skip to HLL because the entire reason of the iM's is to actively impact your performance in that element and might hinder your progress. (since HLL uses lots of pike mobility)
KeilaniG said:understandable, but i wouldn't go for it, at least at the level you're at now. strength is like an explosion and mobility, the way we can use it, so i guess we can call it the barrel of the gun?
if your strength is in excess of your mobility, the movement pattern of using it won't be too effective, which is why we get hurt in the first place. (in this case, if you increment the size of the explosion, withouth reinforcing the barrel or sorrounding structures, you might turn that handgun into a small grenade)
it's recommended that you keep repeating cycles of week 9-12, if your strength is already taken care of and your mobility is catching up and maybe insert after your workout a mobility or stretch session to work on that deficit per ce but i wouldn't let it take from ya. I've started to notice how a lot of the iM's from other elements are built like a matrix and as soon as you gain proficiency in a few, a snowball pattern will emerge until you hit your next mobility wall (the same can be applied to the strength side of the progressions, not in all of them, but there's some noteable bottlenecks.)
so just keep working on your mobility and the rest will take care of itself! unless, for example, if you posted exactly what you wanted to do, you could get a much different answer than the above or one more specialized to your situation. what i mean by that is if you're working on Mn/PE1 and 5x15 is easy for you, you wouldn't want to skip to HLL because the entire reason of the iM's is to actively impact your performance in that element and might hinder your progress. (since HLL uses lots of pike mobility)
For the most part, my mobility is about equal to my strength. I've noticed after starting F1 that it's the basic static exercises I'm struggling with which is why I'm starting in PE1. As for movements such as Push ups, dips, leg raises, squats and pull ups, I'm planning on doing the week 9-12 for multiple cycles until the statics catch up. I have found myself, push ups for example, doing ring push ups or harder progressions with the correct mobility exercise to go with them. I hope this is okay.
Burtchell345 said:For the most part, my mobility is about equal to my strength. I've noticed after starting F1 that it's the basic static exercises I'm struggling with which is why I'm starting in PE1. As for movements such as Push ups, dips, leg raises, squats and pull ups, I'm planning on doing the week 9-12 for multiple cycles until the statics catch up. I have found myself, push ups for example, doing ring push ups or harder progressions with the correct mobility exercise to go with them. I hope this is okay.
hmm then perhaps im misunderstanding...
what is currently your focus? to finish foundation to acquire the basic 7 GST positions/movements?
if so, the bulk of your work(what you will be doing 3-4-5 times a week, with deloads, not moving forward in progressions until PE + iM are mastered) and AFTER you(if you wish) can do maintenance sets of your current abilities, if you feel so inclined
this is where things can get tricky, because if you play too much on certain progressions (ring pushups for example) you can hinder your HBP, sPL recovery and hurt your progress, lord forbid it be from an injury. this is where you come in, if you feel you aren't doing enough, finish your F1 workout and post whatever you are thinking of doing on the board and getting people who are doing something similar to you and they'll give you their advice. (this is to not train something redundantly, like for example squats on SLS days and doing pushups on the rings, when you haven't mastered inclined pushups first)
edit: to add, i say that because my focus per ce is to go through the F-H series and Movement, Rings, subsequent Handstand series, once they're released as a supplement to my Qigong development.
there are people here who do olympic lifting, rock climbing, fight progressionally, Yoga, handbalancing, etc etc, so they're insight will be more geared to meshing with Foundation 1-2 with they're other disciplines.
Honestly my beginning goal to bodyweight training was to get out of the gym. I've found a huge love for calisthenics, parkour, and now a lot of basic gymnastic movements. So, at the movement my current goals are to learn and obtain skills such as the handstands, planch, manna, front/back levers, rings skills and any skills I can learn over the course of my life to aid in my maximum strength and power development with bodyweight training. At the same time though, I want to stay healthy, mobil, flexible, and have some muscular enduranceat the same time. A lot of my conditioning exercises I use on my off days(wed/sat) and as warmups are focused around animal movements, balance, and joint prep. I have a lot of goals, I also do BJJ 2-3 times a week, and I'll be leaving for the navy in March, but I love bodyweight strength training and I felt from the reviews of F1 and up, this could help me progress faster than just experimenting and ending up hurt( my elbows are still recovering from progressing too fast from frog stance planch to tucked planch, and tucked back lever to advanced tuck.) I hope this helps, and I'm still following the program as written, mon/tues/thurs/fri, minus my conditioning days. I'm in week 9 of all the PE1's due to wanting to keep everything even across the board regardless of my movement skills being higher than my statics( bent hollow body hold is kicking my butt at times especially near the end of the 4th set, as is arch body hold) I hope this helps, and I didn't waste my money or anyone's time with my questions.KeilaniG said:hmm then perhaps im misunderstanding...
what is currently your focus? to finish foundation to acquire the basic 7 GST positions/movements?
if so, the bulk of your work(what you will be doing 3-4-5 times a week, with deloads, not moving forward in progressions until PE + iM are mastered) and AFTER you(if you wish) can do maintenance sets of your current abilities, if you feel so inclined
this is where things can get tricky, because if you play too much on certain progressions (ring pushups for example) you can hinder your HBP, sPL recovery and hurt your progress, lord forbid it be from an injury. this is where you come in, if you feel you aren't doing enough, finish your F1 workout and post whatever you are thinking of doing on the board and getting people who are doing something similar to you and they'll give you their advice. (this is to not train something redundantly, like for example squats on SLS days and doing pushups on the rings, when you haven't mastered inclined pushups first)
edit: to add, i say that because my focus per ce is to go through the F-H series and Movement, Rings, subsequent Handstand series, once they're released as a supplement to my Qigong development.
there are people here who do olympic lifting, rock climbing, fight progressionally, Yoga, handbalancing, etc etc, so they're insight will be more geared to meshing with Foundation 1-2 with they're other disciplines.
Also, I found out about this site and training from the dragons door article coach wrote. I bought his original book and found the concepts he talked about fascinating for progressions and figured the Foundation series were based on that.
Burtchell345 said:Honestly my beginning goal to bodyweight training was to get out of the gym. I've found a huge love for calisthenics, parkour, and now a lot of basic gymnastic movements. So, at the movement my current goals are to learn and obtain skills such as the handstands, planch, manna, front/back levers, rings skills and any skills I can learn over the course of my life to aid in my maximum strength and power development with bodyweight training. At the same time though, I want to stay healthy, mobil, flexible, and have some muscular enduranceat the same time. A lot of my conditioning exercises I use on my off days(wed/sat) and as warmups are focused around animal movements, balance, and joint prep. I have a lot of goals, I also do BJJ 2-3 times a week, and I'll be leaving for the navy in March, but I love bodyweight strength training and I felt from the reviews of F1 and up, this could help me progress faster than just experimenting and ending up hurt( my elbows are still recovering from progressing too fast from frog stance planch to tucked planch, and tucked back lever to advanced tuck.) I hope this helps, and I'm still following the program as written, mon/tues/thurs/fri, minus my conditioning days. I'm in week 9 of all the PE1's due to wanting to keep everything even across the board regardless of my movement skills being higher than my statics( bent hollow body hold is kicking my butt at times especially near the end of the 4th set, as is arch body hold) I hope this helps, and I didn't waste my money or anyone's time with my questions.
Also, I found out about this site and training from the dragons door article coach wrote. I bought his original book and found the concepts he talked about fascinating for progressions and figured the Foundation series were based on that.
excellent!
that gives us a more specific base to move forward from
knowing your goal is important because usually(as a perfectionist myself) we try to find holes in what we're doing so that we can continually "plug" that hole so as to not hinder progress in terms of time invested, so that we can get there as fast and efficiently as possible.
if you know your goals, you'll know that if you're working on progressions that work you towards the SLS, you won't want to be doing more than what is already prescribed (when you think about if, if you do the mastery test for Deck Squats, you're doing 75squats, plus 40 more with the skiers) and that's a lot without rest inbetween sets. that's what i want you to avoid, when i say "doing things redundantly"
as for your elbows, thank you for sharing that tidbit, if you're currently working on sPL and recovering from that, i'd recommend you discontinue Ring Pushups until you master F2, which is when you're cleared to work on the first set of Ring progressions in Rings One.
remember, Foundation is exactly what it entails, you don't need to throw more advanced stuff on it, whilst you're working on your foundation because it'll be like throwing the paint before you get the primer on a car, eventually the paint job won't be so good and you'll have to go through the trouble of sanding it, then throwing the primer and then painting it.. you need to give yourself time and space to work comfortably within your limits and progressively move forward so your body has a chance to cope with what you're throwing at it.
KeilaniG said:excellent!
that gives us a more specific base to move forward from
knowing your goal is important because usually(as a perfectionist myself) we try to find holes in what we're doing so that we can continually "plug" that hole so as to not hinder progress in terms of time invested, so that we can get there as fast and efficiently as possible.
if you know your goals, you'll know that if you're working on progressions that work you towards the SLS, you won't want to be doing more than what is already prescribed (when you think about if, if you do the mastery test for Deck Squats, you're doing 75squats, plus 40 more with the skiers) and that's a lot without rest inbetween sets. that's what i want you to avoid, when i say "doing things redundantly"
as for your elbows, thank you for sharing that tidbit, if you're currently working on sPL and recovering from that, i'd recommend you discontinue Ring Pushups until you master F2, which is when you're cleared to work on the first set of Ring progressions in Rings One.
remember, Foundation is exactly what it entails, you don't need to throw more advanced stuff on it, whilst you're working on your foundation because it'll be like throwing the paint before you get the primer on a car, eventually the paint job won't be so good and you'll have to go through the trouble of sanding it, then throwing the primer and then painting it.. you need to give yourself time and space to work comfortably within your limits and progressively move forward so your body has a chance to cope with what you're throwing at it.
Thank you for all of your feedback. I feel like the help I've received here in the forums, and having the program laid out has been a huge help. As I stated earlier and in another thread, I've prided myself in the past in being strong, but these higher reps( anything over 8 is high for me) and isometrics are kicking my butt. So, I see your points.
I'll stick to the program, and will just run through some cycles twice such as HBP and RC to allow other areas to catch up like my sPL, FL, SL, and MN static portions. I also know mobility on the SLS sections needs work. For balancing, how does the H1 program coincide with F1? I read some people have do both together, or use H1 as part of their warmups before tackling F1 movements.
thank you so much for the compliment
everyone here has been so helpful that I seriously feel at home. make yourself at home.
for Handstand One it works on Wrist Prep, the integrated mobility will be working on your shoulder mobility and handstand line. the handstand portion will prep you to be able to hold consecutive 2min holds with minimum rest.
it's crazy. if you want to start handstands, i had zero experience going into the program and it's awesome.
Well, thank you for the welcome and, again, the tips.
As for H1, it sounds like something else I need to look into since, handstands(HeSTP & HSTP) are in my strength goals list!
the Handstand series covers in the first volume, the handstand per se.
the second installment will have Press handstand work
the third it hasn't been confirmed but there could be some ring work in there.
as for your HSPU goals, that'll likely be covered in F3, so lets get a move on it!! ![]()