Pull up grip - Does it matter? (Underhand, overhand, neutral, etc)

Started by Shia, October 3, 2013 · 4 Replies · 6,288 Views

Shia

Does it make a huge difference which grip one chooses to use when performing pull ups? I have noticed recently when doing overhand (traditional pull up) my shoulder crack/pops real loud but it's not painful.

 

When I do chin ups or neutral my shoulder seems fine, so I'm just wondering would it be fine for me to stick with the more comfortable grips (neutral + underhand) or would I be holding myself back at all?

Bipocni

It makes some difference.  I find pullups to be harder, and to involve a lot less biceps.  It's also got a greater transfer to climbing over a wall and muscleups.  That being said, chinups are still a fantastic exercise.  Use all 3 of them to best effect, as they all affect your muscles slightly differently.

 

My best advice would be to get a set of rings, as they allow you to rotate freely to whatever variation you prefer.  They're also a little bit harder, which is fun. ;)

MrPuppeh

I find the Arch body hold hard but trust me - its no fun at all

Christoph

Stabilize your shoulder, so it doesn't crack anymore.

Flavio85
Shia said:

Does it make a huge difference which grip one chooses to use when performing pull ups? I have noticed recently when doing overhand (traditional pull up) my shoulder crack/pops real loud but it's not painful.

 

When I do chin ups or neutral my shoulder seems fine, so I'm just wondering would it be fine for me to stick with the more comfortable grips (neutral + underhand) or would I be holding myself back at all?

Start reinforcing your cuff muscles by doing external (lateral) rotation (infraspinatus+teres minor), internal (medial) rotations (subscapularis) and lateral raises with internal rotation for the supraspinatus.