Straight Arm Ring Flys > Prerequisites

Started by Leandro Santos, October 2, 2013 · 11 Replies · 9,271 Views

Leandro Santos

Hi guys, what are the prerequisites to start working straight arm ring fyls?

 

This question is not because i want to learn ring flys to do bodybuilding workouts, as i'm not using this approach anymore, neither i'm like wanting to do things that i know i can't and get injured. It's just curiosity.

Alessandro Mainente

you need high biceps tendons conditioning, so i think them can be considered a basic approach of more advanced SAS, so probably until you have mastered rope climbing there is no reason to move on.

Bipocni

If you have an RTO support for at least as long as your set will last, you'll probably be fine.

Leandro Santos

I don't have acess to a rope, so like Bipocni said, i would need a good RTO support , 3x60 would be good or there is a more advanced prerequisit to approach this safely?

Joshua Slocum

I would suggest getting 3x60 support and then graduating to 3x30 handstand hold (you can use your feet for balance). 

 

These are for archer (one arm straight) flys, right?

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

If you have an RTO support for at least as long as your set will last, you'll probably be fine.

What makes you say this? Straight arm flyes are going to put a LOT more stress on elbows than support.

Daniel Burnham

Josh's advice is pretty sound, but you should get through rope climb before moving to more advanced ring strength.  While I haven't found ring flys to be very useful they should be approached carefully.  

 

Also lets not pose advice based on unproven conjecture.

Leandro Santos

That would be straight arm flys using 2 arms, like in a push up position with feet supported.  Is there any way to hang a rope in a pull up bar? Besides that possibility there is no other way i could use one.

Joshua Slocum
Leandro Santos said:

That would be straight arm flys using 2 arms, like in a push up position with feet supported. 

Given how difficult this variation is, I don't think you're going to have to worry about the prerequisites for quite some time. 

Alessandro Mainente

personally i feel a lot more stress doing flys then iron cross training!

i don't know the reason but when i've talked to coach about start the SAS element , no reference to flyes on rings for now.

Leandro Santos

So now i understand the level of this exercise, thanks . :)

Rob Kowalski

I find ring rollouts put almost the same level of stress on my elbows as the ring flys.  A bit less though, so you could start there.  I keep the rings at a height that feels comfortable on my elbows for the ring rollouts, and then try the ring flys with that height or a bit higher.  A good exercise I learnt from the Yovchev video is to do a ring rollout and hold as you bring your arms around to the ring fly position and then squeeze up (keeping your arms straight).  Gives you a chance to see if you're strong enough in the fly position before dropping straight into it (which is a huge shock, the first time you try it).

 

I'll always do a mix of these 3 exercises when I train either one.