This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Flexability

Started by Burtchell345, October 2, 2013 · 4 Replies · 230 Views

Burtchell345

Hey all, just to start off, I typically foam roll/stretch every night and follow a majority of the stretches in Pavel's book Relax into the Stretch. Anyone here have any tips for straddle and pike stretches? Those two seem to be my worst and I can't yet do the the stretches in Pavel's book for them yet either. Also, ever since I started trying to increase straddle and pike flexibility, my lower back has started hurting. Am I believe that might be due to tight hip flexors/hamstrings, but I'm working on that too.

Guest

For pike flexibility, do the Manna iM.

 

For straddle, search the forum.

Bipocni

Butterfly is pretty good for beginning straddle, and probably just a standing head-to-knees with slightly bent legs for the pike stretch.

 

Make sure you keep a slightly arched back when you do any forward bends, so that you're not trying to stretch your lower back.

Burtchell345
Awarenesss said:

For pike flexibility, do the Manna iM.

 

For straddle, search the forum.

Thank you for the tip. I wasn't trying to skip out of search feature, I just didn't have time to look while it was fresh on my mind. :)

  

Bipocni said:

Butterfly is pretty good for beginning straddle, and probably just a standing head-to-knees with slightly bent legs for the pike stretch.

 

Make sure you keep a slightly arched back when you do any forward bends, so that you're not trying to stretch your lower back.

Thank you for this. I always knew about the arching, but in my hurry lately, I keep neglecting it. Thank you for the tips and reminder!

Burtchell345

I found some videos on youtube for some active isolated stretching for the hamstrings, groin, and adductors. They have been helping me increase not only my range of motion for a few movements, but getting into deeper straddle and pike compressions.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yuj_OxeT4Pk18LQnPQ3Xg